Newbie Looking for HELP!

Which camera should I get?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
depending on how far from their point of departure you are, you're going to need something longer than a 200mm lens.
thanks, the airplane photography is not my first priority but it is definitively something else i want to do.
Would you suggest i eventually get the 55-200 or the 70-300?

I do a lot of aviation photography and my 55-250 has been serving me quite well. But I also work at the airport and have security clearance to be airside so I can get a bit closer than the average Joe.

As you're using a crop sensor camera, the 55-250 or even the 70-300 will do if you're fairly close to the Airport. However for some stuff at a distance, you can pull off a tighter crop in post-processing.

Here's two examples:

3851038559_e6e2f6741f.jpg

Taken airside but still a fair distance from the Runway.

IMG_0477.jpg

This was taken from the Airport but they were working a wildfire on a mountain approximately a mile behind the Airport. This is a tighter crop from the original.

So you can see the sort of range that at least a 250mm lens will get you.

The key thing about buying into a DSLR is that you're not just buying a camera. You're buying into a lens system. You may not be thinking about it now, but think about the price and availability of lenses in the future and see if that makes sense for you. That said, I shoot Nikon myself, but I would have a hard time recommending the D40/D60/D3000 series simply because they can only use AF-S lenses (internal focusing motor, more expensive) to have autofocus working. I can only recommend it to people who want to travel light, prefer to shoot with general purpose lenses (ie. 18-200; 18-135) and not change lenses, and do not have a big collection of Nikon lenses. At this point, some of Nikon's nicest lenses are not AF-S. You mentioned four thirds... I was looking into this myself, and they are quite nice, especially if portability is what you're after. Then again, consider what you prefer to shoot, and I don't think it would be suitable for you. Also look at the choice of lenses... If what is available is enough, and the prices are something that are palatable, then maybe it would be something to consider.

I don't have anything right now and will be more of a budget photographer since I am not even old enough to get a job. Thanks again for all of the advice.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back