Newbie Looking to Shoot a Model...

macka78

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all

I am based in Montreal. I am looking to develop my photographic skills, including shooting models.

Can anyone suggest a good website or forum where I can find models willing to shoot. I have limited budget, so may be suited to inexperienced model looking to develop a portfolio. I am willing to pay a fee, but not big bucks.

Sites such as model mayhem seem to be orientated to pros, and this isn't much good for me.

Thanks

Sites such as model mayhem seem to be orientated to pros, and this isn't much good for me.

It's actually all over the place. You can get some "models" that are awful at modeling but think they know their stuff and want to charge, versus good ones that do charge. Just pick through the available models and try emailing some that are free.

There's probably model shooting group opportunities around your area -search facebook for them, or meetup.com

...model mayhem seem to be orientated to pros...
:lol: That's funny!

No, MM is most definitely NOT oriented towards professionals. There are some very good photographers and some very good models, but 90% of the people there are either weekend warriors, 'wanna-bes' or just people who like to shoot/model. If you live in a larger, urban area, it is definitely the place to go.

Model Mayhem is a very good way to find models who want to to TFP to build their portfolios, just like you.

In the UK, we also have Purple Port and StarNow - not sure if they have US version or equivalents.

If you're not quite ready to photograph strangers, your friends are the best free models you have and there is less pressure for you to get it right for your first few shoots! I shoot friends all the time - it's a great way to practice directing, lighting, and playing with camera settings, plus, you can have a giggle with your friends about any fails and they'll love you for the successes! Particularly if you have any friends who are aspiring actors, models, general show-offs!

I concur. I had very good experience with Model Mayhem. You can also try local kijji forum.

MM can be hit or miss. My experience is that most of the "models" I've contacted are flakes. There are some that are serious, but at one major event I organized, I had 1 model out of 10-15 that showed up for a group of about 20 photographers. We had a very nice minor league baseball stadium open to us to shoot in for the day and out of the 10-15 that responded that they were indeed going to show up, only one did.

After that, I tend to pick my models from people I've worked with or a pool of friends. They may not all be professionals, but they're dependable and that's way more important in my book.

You may also want to join one of the local camera clubs. They often put on workshops and the experienced members are usually tutoring the beginners. A very fast way of picking up what works and what doesn't. The models for these workshops are usually professional (or semi-pro), and are paid by the club for the workshop. In Montreal, you have several camera clubs, and there are well-known ones also in the West Island and the South Shore.

Most reactions

Back