newbie with questions-about to buy a Nikon D50

VThokies03

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have decided to buy a Nikon D50 to help me get started into the hobby of photography. Is it best to buy the camera and the lenses separate or should I just get a kit? What are the best starter lenses? Where is the best and cheapest place to buy from?

I would recommend that you buy the D50 body and get an 18-70mm lens (the kit lens for the D70) as it is much better than the 18-55 that comes with the D50.
As for places to buy from, I buy all my stuff from B&H Photo, there are links to their site all over this forum. They may not always be the cheapest, but their prices are good and they are reliable, which is hugely important when buying camera gear.

They're cheaper because they are a scam, you won't get the camera at the price they advertise.
Check here: http://www.resellerratings.com/seller9662.html
I think 0.19 is the lowest rating I've seen yet....

Like I said, pass on the D50 kit lens and get the 18-70mm instead. Go to B&H Photo, you'll find a link on the top of this page.

The 18-55mm Kit Lens is fantastic optically. It'll last you quite a time and save you some money. The 18-70 is better, but it isn't two hundred bucks better in my opinion. If you got the D50 body-only, I'd buy a used 18-70 for $200 (they're constantly for sale since they're the kit lens on every camera but the D50), but the kit with the 18-55 is a great deal. Don't get any of the other kits (Particularly the 28-80 or the kits with Quantaray lenses), however.

I'd consider going for Body + Used 18-70, but the Kit w/ 18-55 is a heck of a deal. Up to you.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back