Newbie with some Nikon D80 Questions!

mr00jimbo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello all!
I joined to ask a couple of questions about the Nikon D80 camera.
I am not a photographer, but my dad's newest hobby has taken him into the photography direction. He got a D80, and an additional lense, not sure which one but 55-somethig Nikkor or something comes to mind! I can verify for sure, but it has to be in secret.

I want to get him something for his camera for Christmas. Say a lens? Not sure what he would benefit from the most. He likes to take pictures of up close stuff like flowers, etc. but I'm sure he would enjoy taking detailed pictures of old structures like buildings, etc. or landscapes and blowing them up big.

Forgive my ignorance, I don't know anything about cameras.

But are there any accessories, lenses that won't break the bank, that he would enjoy? Say I wanted to keep it under $250?

He has a flash I know that.
Anything help be greatly appreciated. :)

The only lens I can think of under $250 that is good would be the Nikkor 50mm f/1.8
It's an amazingly sharp lens, very fast. Everyone loves it. It's a must have!

$250 isn't much for a decent lens, and I can't think of anything off the top of my head. The 55-200 (which I assume is what he bought) is pretty much the best telephoto lens in that price range. If he wants to do macro photography, then maybe a Sigma 50mm F2.8?

A 50mm F1.8 is a great lens to have, and its only about $100. That would make a great gift, however that is more of a portrait lens than anything.

You could get him a tripod, a set of wireless radio triggers (the cheapies are maybe $50 for the set) and an umbrella and some accessories like that for well under $250, and that'd give him a lot to play with!

I gotta say, as a dad, I hope that I can raise my boys to be as thoughtful as you. It's really nice to see someone thinking of their dad in this way.

Thank-you for the replies!
BTilson, thanks for the compliment; he works really hard and gets stressed so anything to get him out of the house and doing something that's not always work!
Basically I looked at the lenses just now and they're exactly the same ones as your sig it seems...AF-S 18-55 and AFS 55-200 ?
Any more info needed on those lenses to see what a good third would be? Or whether a third would be beneficial?
Thanks! :)

Those two lenses are 52mm filter size. How about a circular polarizer This is one of the best.

An extra battery, memory cards, camera bag. There is just much you can spend money on.

I can appreciate you wanting to get a new lens for your Dad, but that can be a personal decision. Of course, you could always get a gift card from B&H or Adorama for a lens of his choosing.

Just my 2¢.

I say Nikon 50mm 1.8 lens, about $110. A circular polarizer from Hoya or B+W (52mm size). And a nice wide camera strap either the TPF Op-Tech or the regular Op-tech version. Should be around $200 for 3 gifts that he can use.

Most reactions

Back