Newbies, posts, buy and sell

jaomul

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I suggested before that I thought it would be a good idea to only allow established members use the buy and sell facility (maybe after a certain amount of posts etc). I think it was pretty much said that it would be to difficult to implement and that is fair enough, but it's happening more often now.

Another thing that seems to happen a lot is the one post person who asks something, lots answer but they never come back, to post or even acknowledge that people responded.

Surely there is some kind of system that can be implemented , something like if a new person ask something that the thread gets removed within a certain time frame or a certain amount of posts should the op not respond.

I'm not sure the best approach, others might see a better solution, or maybe my idea is ridiculous

Thoughts?

Since I am generally not in the market for purchasing, I just tend to ignore those posts. I think some of one one-posters aren't interested in joining the community nor in photography on a serious level. I suspect they post the same question on multiple boards then go about their business once they collect answers. The lack of manners, or common courtesy to say "than you" is another matter.

I don't think threads should be removed for inactivity. The responses can serve as answers for anyone who actually takes the time to search for something instead of just asking (the same question over and over).

Up until about a month ago I was one of 4 admins on a large forum. It certainly is doable to restrict a certain forum to members with a preset number of posts. The behind the scene tools for the admins is extensive and almost anything is possible. Unfortunately the tools can not regulate bad manners.

Dave

Yes, it's possible for most forum software to set a certain number of posts (as well as a certain length of being registered) before allowing to post in a certain subforum.

But that also might incur a lot of "Good shot!" and "I like it!" posts just to get to the minimum.

I've gotten so I pretty much ignore the hit-n-run one-post wonders. As for the ask-it-and-never-return, oh well, that's the innernets for you!

Yes, it's possible for most forum software to set a certain number of posts (as well as a certain length of being registered) before allowing to post in a certain subforum.

But that also might incur a lot of "Good shot!" and "I like it!" posts just to get to the minimum.

I've gotten so I pretty much ignore the hit-n-run one-post wonders. As for the ask-it-and-never-return, oh well, that's the innernets for you!

You could be right about people posting quick replies to make the quota, but I'd doubt it. If it was set at say 50 most sellers would I think just use somewhere to post that is less effort

I'm not sure if this is possible or not, but would it be possible to have a quasi-form that must be filled out for the buy and sell section?

In other words, the form would dictate whether a thread could be posted based on information inputted into the form. The form would require description of equipment, photo uploads, and price(s) to be filled out before the form would allow the item to be posted for sale?

If there are multiple items, they would be allowed to post multiple items in the form?

That way, we wouldn't be putting a post count on anyone, but they would at least need to fill out the required information to post the product(s)?

As an admin on a pretty active car forum my question is what's the problem? Just this week we had a guy sign up and post an intake set up for far less than market value and in sold to one of our supporters in an hour. Who is the looser in that scenario?

Because we are a highly customized car site we get a fair amount of tire kickers that come on and ask very newbee questions. The response is always a polite go read the FAQs and many of the guys don't do anything but say welcome if that. So again I ask what's the down side?

There are sites that restrict starting a new thread below a certain post count and that

Most reactions

New Topics

Back