Next Generation DSLR's?

|DeZaStR|

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Does anyone have any ideas on when the next generation of digital SLR's will be released? Specifically, the ones that fall within the $1000-$1500 range and shoot greater than 6MP...

I'm looking to invest in one in the near future, but most of the ones now in the price range I'm looking for are 6MP. I've seen many standard consumer digicams now that have begun using 8MP (and higher) and I would assume it's mearly a matter of time before the next DSLR's are on the market with the same capabilities.

Any input would be appreciated! :)

Be open minded when looking at the 8MP consumer digicams. Those 8MP cameras have poor image quality when compared to 4 and 6MP models. The noise in these 8MP cameras is much greater than the older models.

If you are interested in a DSLR, I say why wait. Jump in and get your feet wet and you won't regret it. The only down side is at the wide angle end where 12 - 16mm lenses are exepnsive, but still cheaper than a full frame DSLR.

Check out this page for a direct comparison of images from an 8mp digicam and the 6mp Canon 10d. It's about 1/2 way down the page.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/sony828.shtml

To me there is no comparison. The bigger sensor makes a huge difference.

Luminous Landscape is also a great site for all sorts of digital info, and actually if you dig, there is a lot of good film info too.

Interesting infos

Some very good points made. Thanks for the information guys. I just may begin leaning that much more toward a Nikon D70 now. :)

Why would you even consider D70 when we have THE 10D? ;)

photogoddess said:
danalec99 said:
Why would you even consider D70 when we have THE 10D? ;)

They are both good cameras. I have a 10D and experienced a bit of D70 envy over Chase and Voodoocat's cameras. :twisted:

I own a 10D too but have checked out my sons D70 and I think we agree that performance wise there's nothing in it between them.
Cost is the one big difference with the 10D around $500 more expensive but really it comes down to lesser things such as build quality which may mean more to some but the Nikon doesn't feel cheap by any means, weight of the 10D is quite a bit more to lug around and general feel and here I prefer my 10D but would I if I'd started with a D70?
The one obvious point is what lenses do you already own because this is a major cost consideration.

I got my 10D a year ago and have been very happy with it when shooting sports and landscapes. Choose Canon because of the lenses before going digital. I like their image stabilizing lenses. Also what about the Canon Digital Rebel it has most of the same options that the 10D has, and cost less

Remember when it comes to DSLR just as with a film SLR the lens quality and film/sensor size are the most import options

All cunsumer electronics will mostly show up on the market place right before or a month after new years. CES is vagas in on the 9th or so of Jannuary and that is where most show off their new Goods for all the Buyers to see.

and I have the D70 :lol:

Both the 10D and the D70 are getting great reviews. It seems to me that some folks are suggesting that the 10D excells slightly at lower ISO settings, while the D70 has a slight advantage at higher ISOs. Although, once again, the differences are pretty small.

They are both amazing pieces of technology with only room to grow. Being able to produce 12x18 inch prints from a 1/3 crop of the original RAW image from a 10D with no noise and image degeneration is more than I could hope for.

I would prefer the camera manufactors concentrated on usable features and not pack more pixels on a censor. Would like to see stuff like built in GPS receivers, less shutter lag, faster startup times, better focusing screens, or even moving image stabalization into the camera body and not the lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back