Night Bridge

PSA

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
A while ago I got my hands on an SLR and decided to try a roll of long exposure stuff around town. Here's a shot of the Fulton St. Bridge, if anyone is from the Grand Rapids area...

no filters used here. just looking for critique and advice. I think this was 30 seconds???

fultonbridge_cropped.jpg

It's pretty enough, and I like your tiny aperture for the starry effect in all those lights. Very nice. I'm not sure you could get much more detail in the bridge with the available light through that aperture, though. Maybe allowing several more seconds would have let more light in? Nice composition, too, and I like the color sheen on the water.

jadin said:
I'd like to see more detail in the bridge, either by upping the gamma, or by over exposing a shot and blending the two together.

What is the gamma?

terri said:
It's pretty enough, and I like your tiny aperture for the starry effect in all those lights. Very nice. I'm not sure you could get much more detail in the bridge with the available light through that aperture, though. Maybe allowing several more seconds would have let more light in? Nice composition, too, and I like the color sheen on the water.

thank you!

Gamma is a combination of contrast and brightness, but the major thing about it is it isn't applied uniformly to an image. Things that are light pretty much stay the same, but things in shadow usually become brighter, only exception is if there is areas of total darkness, then they won't reveal their secrets. :)

Gamma is in Paint Shop Pro. I think you can do the same thing (though I don't know how) with levels in Photoshop.

I tried it just now, it looks best as is.

jadin said:
Gamma is a combination of contrast and brightness, but the major thing about it is it isn't applied uniformly to an image. Things that are light pretty much stay the same, but things in shadow usually become brighter, only exception is if there is areas of total darkness, then they won't reveal their secrets. :)

Gamma is in Paint Shop Pro. I think you can do the same thing (though I don't know how) with levels in Photoshop.

I tried it just now, it looks best as is.

gotcha. thanks for trying it out for me! I don't know much of anything about digital editting... I'm still an old fashioned girl - I print all my stuff on an ancient one-hour type printer... absolutely nothing digital about it. But I do want to get into the digital world eventually...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back