Night Fishing

JohnMF

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
cityfishermini.jpg

Switching from ISO 200 to ISO 1600 would have dropped your shutter speed from 0.6s to a barely-possible-with-IS 1/12s.

[Woodsy];1234632 said:
I took this shot at 1/10th hand held... With no IS.
Bottom line, as said, tripod can't be beaten.
Impressive!

I was not disagreeing with the tripod suggestion, but that was already posted, so I thought to add a second option that might help.

thanks for the comments.

i had the tripod with me, but chose not to use it. the guy fishing in the photo was drunk. Kinda makes me feel a bit drunk too when i look at it

It's too bad you didn't use the tripod, it could have been a really nice shot. I'm a bit timid about using mine, but after a few successful night shoots, I am getting over it!

My little sister could take a better photo than this, nuff said, sorry.

Keep trying!

Apart from this comment being totally un-called for... John is a superb photographer, look at his previous posts... this image is different for him... but doesn't deserve your patronizing tone.

Apart from this comment being totally un-called for... John is a superb photographer, look at his previous posts... this image is different for him... but doesn't deserve your patronizing tone.

Well put.

I can see where it would've been weird to randomly set up a tripod and start taking pics of someone, especially if that person is drunk. Oh well... I think it's clear at this point what you could've done to fix that shot.

Looking at the shot though, I'm not sure the fisherman needs to be there for it to be a good image. Might be worth a reshoot sometime with the tripod. Besides if you really want the fisherman shot but don't want to shoot a stranger, set up the tripod, grab a pole and use a remote to trip the shutter.

thanks for the comments

I don't think i'll be going back to this location or doing anymore night shots. (not until i've had a few tips from Will's sister anyway :er: )

Seeing some of you other work makes me think this is on purpose. With keeping an open mind, I asked myself does this really work, and yes I do think it does. It has more of a painting feel to it. Not my favorite from you, but it still has a quality to it all to it's own... I'm sorry some made the comments they did... WOW... Even if it wasn't intentional and you were new to photography some contructive critisum (sp?) is in order.

Thanks Bobly

Yes, it was on purpose. I had camera with the cable release, on the tripod, set up right next to me, but i took it off for this photo. It's how i wanted it to be.

I don't mind at all if people hate my photos, and they can say that, and that's fine with me. Patronising comments are more personal and a bit un-called for IMO.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back