Night Photo - Blooming effect?? (C&C Please)

ecaps

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
All,

Been spending alot of time reading & trying to understand how to use the camera. Took my first "night time" pic and what some opinions, comments, ect...

It seem some of the lights seem too bright (blooming effect???). I didn't really do any editing on the photo, except some croping. Is there anyway to correct this?

williamstown_bridge.jpg

Specs:
F-Stop 7.1, Shutter Speed 30sec, ISO-100
IMG%5D

Im pretty sure there isn't anyway to fix it.. other than just photoshopping it the way you want it... But.. someone correct me if im wrong.

Not without so much post-processing that it will look bad. The only way to do this is to reshoot and under-expose (Remember in digital, expose for the highlights, process for the shadows).

Nope, nothing you can do. Unlesssssssss. You have CS3, then you can take one shot on tripod of course to get nice building and sky details, then another one to make the lights look nice and then somehow, I dont know havent used it just seen it can blend the photos into one and it takes everything into account and makes a nice shot.
Probably a little more technical than this but it looke that simple. Someone else might be able to explain it better.

Personally, I kinda like them. Thats a great photo by the way. Why does there seem to be so much noise at ISO 100? Did you already bring back the shadow detail in post?

Derrick

The star-like blooming is a direct result of of the aperture - the smaller the aperture, the greater the bloom.

You could shoot it wider, at f/2.8 or f/4, but then you have to contend with a relatively shallow Depth of Field. Only a small part would be in focus, whereas other parts would be soft. For a landscape shot like this it doesn't work, you want that full DOF.

You could also focus-bracket the shots. Shoot various images with a wide aperture and keep changing your focal depth, and then in Photoshop composite the various in-focus sections together into one large stitched image.

I really like your shot, and I like the lights. For what it's worth.

I can't offer any help with the composition, but I would like to say that I really like the photo, both the angle and the subject. Really nice work.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back