night portrait...with bokeh!

WTF?

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
went out last night to try my hand at some star trails, little did i know how bright my suburb was, resulting in very little star visibility. so after a few test shots of the stars i figured it was too bright and had a go at a portrait of my very lovely (and very patient) girlfriend, who was with me at the time.

4230257916_57159dea91_b.jpg

this is pretty much my first proper go at a portrait, its a 6 second exposure with my 50mm at 1.8, i clicked the shutter and then ran to her side and popped my 285hv at 1/16th power. her face is a little awkward because she wasnt really ready yet, but i dont think it turned out too bad.
would have tried some more but the batteries in my flash died.
c&c?

Since this is your first try I will just say to get some kind of a diffuser on that light, pretty harsh as just a bare light also needs to be higher up, think of it as trying to simulate the sun shining on her face.
On the positive side you have the flash off camera and that is a big positive step.

yeah im working on getting a couple of umbrellas and light stands. but i dunno, i kinda like the harsh light look, not all the time though

178 views and 1 reply? cheers guys

your primary light source is too low and too harsh - the shadows are pointing UP and while being sharp (harsh light).
I could care less that it was shot with pretty wide open lens b/c lighting takes away from her - it doesn't glorify her, which I think something she'd prefer.
Otherwise, decent composition and she really doesn't seem like she wants to be there :D

Most reactions

Back