Nikkor 55-200mm

cwindle1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I currently own Nikon D5100 (upgrading to d610 soon hopefully!). I'm wondering what lenses I should go for to have in my bag. I own a nikkor 70-300mm and have purchased a nikkor 50mm. I'm looking at the nikkor 55-200mm. Good lens to get? Is it good for action, sport shots? Portraiture? (will mainly use 50mm for portraits!)

The Nikon AF-S 55-200 mm f/4-5.6G ED IF is a DX kit lens and not a very good kit lens at that.

It would be even worse on an FX camera body.
If you want to use the full resolution the FX image sensor in a D610 delivers you're going to have to spend the money it takes to buy the better prosumer and pro grade FX lenses.

DX lens only project an image circle larger enough to project the image onto a DX size (APS-C) image sensor.
Digital Camera Sensor Sizes: How it Influences Your Photography

Which Nikon 70-300 mm do you own? They make 2 of them.
One, the f/4.5-5.6 with VR is a good value FX lens. The f/4-5.6 (no VR) is a el cheapo. not very good lens

Last edited:
Why would you want to buy the 55-200 when you already have a 70-300? I don't understand the logic behind your reasoning

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4; probably while slacking off at work

I agree with Keith....I have the AF-S 55-200 and I really don't care for it....have not had a shot from it that I like, after 2 months.....to me, the images just seem too soft....better with manual focus, but not much better.....

I own the f/4.5-5.6 with VR 70-300mm

Do you think, when I upgrade I should go for the nikkor 70-200 2.8 depending on what ££ i have left over?

I own the f/4.5-5.6 with VR 70-300mm

Do you think, when I upgrade I should go for the nikkor 70-200 2.8 depending on what ££ i have left over?

Yes, if you can afford it. I've heard good things about that lens.

Most reactions

Back