50/1.8 AF-D vs 50/1.8 AF-S

astroNikon

'ya all Bananas I tell 'ya
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
50/1.8 AF-D vs 50/1.8 AF-S

I just took in hand a 50mm AF-S lens. Boy it focuses fast compared to the AF-D lens

Is there any reason to keep the AF-D lens?
But how do the two lenses in testing?
When I test the two side by side the AF-D lens appears sharper than the AF-S lens when you crop in. Have others had this?

The only quick advantage I see is the AF-D can go to f/22 whereas the AF-S only f/16
The AF-D is easier smoother manual focusing, though you have to flip a switch
and the AF-D you can see all the markings for those times you use full manual control, which, I haven't done at all since I first fiddled with my d7000 when it was new.

I certainly like these AF-S lenses. The AF-D allowed me to get a good lens collection at low cost though.
I also have coming a 70-300 VRII lens which is replacing my slow 75-300 AF lens. The focusing speed between those two should be drastic.

The D is smaller and lighter.

It uses smaller filters (52mm), which is a more common size among D lenses.

It will work on film bodies if you want to go down that path.

You can reverse it and maintain aperture control with a BR-6.

The D is smaller and lighter.

It uses smaller filters (52mm), which is a more common size among D lenses.

It will work on film bodies if you want to go down that path.

You can reverse it and maintain aperture control with a BR-6.
No more film for me .. been there, done that a long time ago.

I sold my 24mm which was my last 52mm thread size ... so this is the last one with that size.
I do have a B+W MRC C-POL in 52mm which would get sold too. And my set of "macro" closeup filters.

but I'm liking the manual focus override abilities so far in testing.
And I fixed my sharpness issue in my first tests, when allowing the camera to do things a little bit in Auto the two lenses seemed to allow the body to use different settings. 1/6 vs 1/60 shutter with a sb-700 on body in TTL mode. I went to Manual to fix the settings and sharpness is there. Though, I think it's too early in the morning to be doing any testing like this. lol

The 50mm 1.8G should be very very very sharp. I read way too many reviews for my own good, so I've heard about sample variations on the 50mm 1.8G with regards to sharpness. However, reviews are a dime a dozen and often are completely incorrect. I can tell you that my 50mm 1.8G is very sharp even when pixel peeping to the max. Compared to my 85mm 1.8G, the performance is extremely close to on par.

I don't think there's any point in keeping the AF-D, although it's a cheap lens so it's probably not a huge deal either way.

The 50mm 1.8G should be very very very sharp. I read way too many reviews for my own good, so I've heard about sample variations on the 50mm 1.8G with regards to sharpness. However, reviews are a dime a dozen and often are completely incorrect. I can tell you that my 50mm 1.8G is very sharp even when pixel peeping to the max. Compared to my 85mm 1.8G, the performance is extremely close to on par.

I don't think there's any point in keeping the AF-D, although it's a cheap lens so it's probably not a huge deal either way.

Yes, it's won me over already for sharpness after I corrected the variations the body suggested in non-Manual mode.
I love the Focus override especially when playing in the sub f/2.8 range.
The little 50 is great though due to it's small size sitting unobtrusive on a larger body. But I can only keep one as my plan. The only reason I have the 50 is for my crop camera. The 85 prime is for the FF.

Thanks

I'm sticking with my D.. it's my avatar!!!
Love the old-school nifty fifty. But yes, I'm sure the other version is great.

yes I love my AFD too but the G one is a little nicer with the Manual Focus override.

The 28-70 AF-S is still on my list as I want a faster focusing than the 35-70/2.8
Plus I got the G at a great price.

yes I love my AFD too but the G one is a little nicer with the Manual Focus override.

The 28-70 AF-S is still on my list as I want a faster focusing than the 35-70/2.8
Plus I got the G at a great price.

I just can't part with my D. It's like a family member of mine. I really love it!
Love the 28-70 2.8 as well. It's a monster.

I just can't part with my D. It's like a family member of mine. I really love it!
Love the 28-70 2.8 as well. It's a monster.

Didn't read the fourth sentence and this all came out wrong O_O;

The D`s points of light have an rectangular bokeh compared to the G`s more rounded bokeh

John.

I think the focusing speed is about the same.
But the AF-S lense seem to be able to find focus faster when it requires a longer throw, basically less hunting.

I also got a 70-300 vrii AF-S to replace my old and slow AF 75-300. A major difference.
The 50s aren't so different except for size, the blade shape and the override. I do like the small compactness of the AF-D. It was just like my previous 24/2.8D which I enjoyed having but became redundant.

Consider some third party lenses. I'm going to sell my nikon 50 1.4g and buy the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art when i go full frame.

Consider some third party lenses. I'm going to sell my nikon 50 1.4g and buy the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art when i go full frame.
Why would you make that change?
if you are going to be giving away the 1.4 I'll take it :)

Most reactions

Back