Nikon 70-300mm G vs Sigma 70-300mm SLD DG

jrizal

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
First I have an extremely low budget and saying that there are better lenses out there (such as the 55-300mm AF-S, 70-300 AF-S and the 70-200mm) and buying any of them is out of the question since I can't afford them. That said, can anyone share their experiences/observations with these lenses? I know both do not have VR and the Nikon has no AF motor built-in so AF won't work with my D3100 which is fine by me. Both also tend to be "dark" at higher zoom ranges. The Sigma has an AF motor and a macro mode which is a nifty feature but not essential for me. I've tried to do research on the Nikon vs Sigma topic but can't find any. Individual reviews point out to be positive considering its price range and class. And the Nikon tends to have CA on higher zoom and has lower IQ compared to the 70-300m AF-S. But I can't find a comparison with the Sigma (Sigma vs Tamron yes as they are similar. But none on Sigma/Tamron vs Nikon.) Any inputs are greatly appreciated. And the would help in my purchase decision. TIA. :)

Amazon.com: Nikon 70-300mm f/4-5.6G AF Nikkor SLR Camera Lens: NIKON: Camera & Photo

Amazon.com: Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 SLD DG Macro Lens with built in motor for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm a big fan of cheap lenses. I know many people are lens snobs, but in this case, you are much better off buying a refurb 55-300 from cameta for 210 f/s... I have had the 70-300 both g and ed versions and neither one was very good. I have tried a Sigma, not very good, I had the cheaper tamron, not very good... If you can swing the extra 60 bucks, you pick up VR and a more reliable af... just my humble opinion...

I'm a big fan of cheap lenses. I know many people are lens snobs, but in this case, you are much better off buying a refurb 55-300 from cameta for 210 f/s... I have had the 70-300 both g and ed versions and neither one was very good. I have tried a Sigma, not very good, I had the cheaper tamron, not very good... If you can swing the extra 60 bucks, you pick up VR and a more reliable af... just my humble opinion...

I must admit that I did not see that when I browsed Cameta. Obviously the 55-300mm is a much better lens overall as I have used one for a brief time (loaner from a friend) but simply can't afford in the short term to spend the $399. The $209 deal for a refurb is definitely a good one. It is something worth seriously considering. Thanks for the link. :)

PS Maybe I should also get a "loan" from my friend for the refurb 55-300mm. Haha! ;)

I had the 70-300mm G as a first lens. Lots of CA. I have shot some good photos with it though. Then I switched it for the 70-300mm VR and the difference in quality was immense! I got a good deal on mines for only $250 on Craigslist so maybe check it out?

Yep my 55-200vr performs better than the lenses mentioned by the OP.
Used 70-300vr or 55-300vr if needed.
But find that 200mm is fine for even a bit of nature and wildlife.
As 200mm to 300mm isn't that pronounce until using it at further distances.

Hummingbird in Morning Light 1 of 3 by Orbmiser, on Flickr

And picked mine up refrub for $125 and been my walkabout lens.
As is smaller,lighter and less obtrusive than the 300mm zooms.
And wouldn't touch a zoom without VR as really makes the lens usable for
handheld shooting in many more difficult and lower light situations.

Have had this lens along with the 70-300vr and 7 out of 10 times would grab the 55-200vr for shooting.
Now if you are going to do A Lot of Wildlife,Sports type shooting than the 55-300vr
is the minimum and 70-300vr so much the better.

If you can't afford them why not save up till you can or buy used or refrub?
What's the point of going the cheapest route if it doesn't get the job done
for as many situations as possible.

And end up disappointed and much more work to make getting the shot doable.
Zooms especially are not designed to cheap out on for modern AF lenses.

There are some outstanding glass in older manual focus Ai or Ai-s and AF or AF-D lenses.
But then you would have to manual focus and depending on camera like my D90 no metering either.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back