Nikon AF-D 50mm f/1.4

goooner

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Since I'm fairly new to darkside I was wondering if this lens is worth getting. I can get a reasonably good deal on a used lens and was wondering if it might be worth it. I will be using it for astro photography, and some indoor people snaps.

I can get it cheaper than the newer 1.8 lenses, but I'm not sure if the newer lenses might be better.

Price will be around $200 with an 18 month guarantee, and 21 day with a no hassle return policy.

It will be fine. Understand that it doesn't have a focusing motor so you get AF only if your camera has an internal focusing motor.

Since I'm fairly new to darkside I was wondering if this lens is worth getting. I can get a reasonably good deal on a used lens and was wondering if it might be worth it. I will be using it for astro photography, and some indoor people snaps.

I can get it cheaper than the newer 1.8 lenses, but I'm not sure if the newer lenses might be better.

Price will be around $200 with an 18 month guarantee, and 21 day with a no hassle return policy.

Not sure on the astro but it is super sharp glass with good color rendering. I have one and use it on occasion. The price is right.

I've found it too tight for astro work, and that's on a FullFrame sensor.
you'll be even tighter with your d7200.
I've found 24 or even 18mm on FF is much better. 18mm or less on DX.

The best options for astrophotography are the manual focus Samyang/Rokinon/Bower primes:
  • 14mm f/2.8
  • 24mm f/1.4
  • 35mm f/1.4
  • 50mm f/1.4
  • 85mm f/1.4

Thank you for all the replies. I have not done any astro photography before, so this will probably be used indoors for people and baby shots. It sounds like a good deal. Will pull the trigger tomorrow if it is still available.

Thank you for all the replies. I have not done any astro photography before, so this will probably be used indoors for people and baby shots. It sounds like a good deal. Will pull the trigger tomorrow if it is still available.

I have both the AF-D and Pre-AIS. They are very close with the color rendering slightly different on the Pre-AIS. The older one is on my Nikon F and the other is on my N-75. I occasionally use the AF-D on my D3300 for portraits. Just dial the focus in and a green dot confirms it, fire away.

Bought it this morning. Should arrive some time next week. Will be the fastest glass I've ever owned. Can't wait!

Hell yes, it's worth it! Ha, it's my avatar! I love mine. It's my only AF lens, and I'll not part with it.
I owned the more recent 50mm 1.4G and didn't fall in love with it. So I went back to this old boy.
It's a work-horse, and it saved my azz during a shoot, when my former 28-70 died on me.

I have a 50/1.4 G and a 50/1.8 AF-D.

I have the 50 G because I like the focus over ride. It comes in handy in more artistic type shots, whereas the AF-D you have to flip the AF switch to go into manual. But it feels kinda cheap with all the cheaper feeling plastic. The AF-D's feel more sturdy and are a lot smaller.

I also had the 50/1.8 G at the same time but it was the same casing as the 1.4 G and just felt even cheaper. But the focus over ride was my primary reason for going with the G lens.

Can't go wrong with any of them.

I have the 50 G because I like the focus over ride. It comes in handy in more artistic type shots, whereas the AF-D you have to flip the AF switch to go into manual. But it feels kinda cheap with all the cheaper feeling plastic. The AF-D's feel more sturdy and are a lot smaller.

I also had the 50/1.8 G at the same time but it was the same casing as the 1.4 G and just felt even cheaper. But the focus over ride was my primary reason for going with the G lens.

Man, you're wealthy.... so many lenses, you own, my friend...

All used .
Got the 50/1.4 G real cheap when I just bought the 50/1.8G. I've had the 50/1.8 D for years as it was the 2nd lens I bought back when I had my d7000.

FYI, I'm back up to 2 bodies. My d600 and a new d750. My d600 got broken and I needed a camera :O
luckily, or unluckily Nikon fixed the d600. I was hoping they would replace it. Gonna have to get more oil on the sensor for them to approve that next time.

All used .
Got the 50/1.4 G real cheap when I just bought the 50/1.8G. I've had the 50/1.8 D for years as it was the 2nd lens I bought back when I had my d7000.

FYI, I'm back up to 2 bodies. My d600 and a new d750. My d600 got broken and I needed a camera :O
luckily, or unluckily Nikon fixed the d600. I was hoping they would replace it. Gonna have to get more oil on the sensor for them to approve that next time.

I'm messin' with ya! I do want a second body one day... always got my eyes open for a low deal on a D600. I love my former D700, but now that I'm use to larger files with my D800, I think a D600 would be more modern, and 24MP would be outstanding, compared to 12MP. One day! All of my stuff is used as well. It's all I buy. I'm poor (meaning, I have kids, ha)

All used .

I'm messin' with ya! I do want a second body one day... always got my eyes open for a low deal on a D600. I love my former D700, but now that I'm use to larger files with my D800, I think a D600 would be more modern, and 24MP would be outstanding, compared to 12MP. One day! All of my stuff is used as well. It's all I buy. I'm poor (meaning, I have kids, ha)
I have 4 kids.
I'll sell you my d600 for $3500 :)
okay, okay, $3300.
:)

Most reactions

Back