Nikon Camera Question

Formatted

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.jawns.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was searching the web last night, and saw a nice deal. A D300 with Battery grip and memory cards, (15,000 photos) for a about half price from original purchase cost. I recently bought myself a Nikon 200-400 f4 VR and am loving it by the way. But I want to get a-bit more speed out of my camera.

My subject matter, generally includes landscapes, sports (rowing, rugby, hockey and today snow boarding), wildlife, macro and portraits. I've been reading a few reviews, and they say that the D300 is a good camera but that the D700 is far superior even for the large cost.

I could sell my D5000 (6,000 or so frames) and get the D300.

Anyone think that this is a bad deal? I don't like parting with my equipment, especially when its so new. Or would something like a D90 be better? Or shall I just contuine saving for a D700?

Thanks for the input.

Last edited:
The D300 would be great for action shooting (sports and wildlife), more so than the D5000 you currently have. If you stayed with portraits, macro and landscapes the D5000 would suit you just fine. I would say invest in better/more glass.

But if you want to improve your ability to shoot action, the D300 is a great body to do it. It has Nikon's best AF system and it has the FPS you will likely want.

Is the D700 vastly superior to the D300? I don't think so. It certainly has its benefits and would be nice if you had the money to buy it, but the D300 would do a great job for you.

I would still weigh the actual need of better/faster AF against the need for more/better glass. If you really think you'll shoot enough action stuff to warrant the D300, I say go for it. If not, stick with the D5000 as it's a very capable body and the IQ is comparable to the D300.

A D300 at half of new price is about the right price to pay for a used body at this particular stage in the body's lifespan; the D300 has recently been interated to the D300s model,and the camera is about two years from its introduction date, so half off is about right. In another year, 35% of new cost might be considered a good price.

Nikon is widely thought to be readying a new body or bodies for February,2010 announcement; just yesterday, Canon cut the price of the EOS 5D Mark II, and retailers like B&H Photo are giving away a 16 gigabyte SanDisk memory card and a LowePro camera bag with each 5D-II sold,as an added incentive; this price reduction of the 5D-II to below $2,500 is thought by some to be an indication that Canon is aware that Nikon's forthcoming next camera will be a new FF body in the mid-price level range.

It's quite a step up from a D5000 to a D300--the viewfinder system on a D300 class body is better,and the D300 class of Nikon body is larger and more massive than the D5000 class bodies, plus has the option of a nice grip which adds more weight and mass,and a better "handle" for use with a big,long zoom like the 200-400. You would probably find, like I do, that a bigger,heavier camera makes it actually easier to handle and shoot a long,heavy lens that is monopod mounted.

As for the D700--it's possible that loads of them will soon hit the used camera market if Nikon introduces a highly-desirable new camera or cameras this February. That's the way it works; on those rare few occasions when a camera company introduces a new camera with a lot of "real pull", users sell off cameras en masse to finance the move to the newer camera.
If you want to buy a used D300 and grip, buy all means, do it. But the D700--I would hold off on buying that body for a while longer.

I would not suggest anyone to upgrade a camera body if there is even the slightest hint of financial impact. If you cringe at taking your S.O. out for a $100 meal, then keep what you have.

For sports, wildlife and macro, the D300 will rock. For landscape and portraits, the D700 will have an advantage, but likewise, the D300 is very capable.

The grip for both the D300 & D700 will increase your FPS to 8. An added bonus is it balances big lenses better, gives you the ability to go from landscape to portrait orientation in a second while still having the main controls where their supposed to be and lastly, will make others envious. :biggrin:

Thank you very much for the long responses. You have all been traveling along the same theme, and that is not to buy it if I need to sell something. And thats true, I'll hold off on the sale.

Nikon is widely thought to be readying a new body or bodies for February,

You have just answered my next question, thank you very much.

I look forward to seeing how the Nikon range develops over the year. Till then I'll pursue my next purchase which is 80-200 f4 VR, and hold off for a D300 till next year sometime, or look for a new purchase for some nicer equipment.

Once again thank you very much,

Most reactions

Back