Nikon D300 camera package

Hogwild

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm new here and don't know if this is the right place for this question but figured i had to start somewhere. The wife bought the following new a few years back and it's way more than she needs or wants so she is looking to sell the package and we have no idea of it's value and are looking for some help with pricing. Any help with pricing will be greatly appreciated. I know nothing about cameras but will do my best to answer questions as best I can.

Bill

Nikon D300 Camera, shutter count 1983. 350.00 includes battery and charger
Nikon ED AF-S VR Nikkor 70-200mm 1:2.8G 1,200.00 includes case and tripod bracket
Nikon DX AF-S Nikkor 18-70mm 1:3.5-4.5G ED 100.00

Nikon Speedlight SB-800 250.00
Carrying case as well as a manuals and video.

$HPIM5899.JPG

Last edited:
There's a Buy/Sell section of the forum; I'd suggest you look there to get an idea of pricing/value. You can also do an advanced search on eBay to see what the same items have sold for recently. Finally, check out the used departments at Adorama, KEH, Cameta, and B&B.

I'm new here and don't know if this is the right place for this question but figured i had to start somewhere. The wife bought the following new a few years back and it's way more than she needs or wants so she is looking to sell the package and we have no idea of it's value and are looking for some help with pricing. Any help with pricing will be greatly appreciated. I know nothing about cameras but will do my best to answer questions as best I can.

Bill

Nikon D300 Camera package
Shutter count is 1983
Includes 2 lenses: Nikon ED AF-S VR Nikkor 70-200mm 1:2.8G and a
Nikon DX AF-S Nikkor 18-70mm 1:3.5-4.5G ED

Nikon Speedlight SB-800
Carrying case as well as a manuals and video.

Bill, a couple of quick recommendations. First, you'll probably do better breaking this up and selling it off separately than you will as a package. There are a lot of folks who might be interested in the 70-200 mm 2.8 for example, but they will most likely be folks who already own a camera body that is much newer than a D300 - which is a pretty safe bet because the 70-200 mm is a very high end, expensive lens.

The SB-800, again, will garner a lot more money if sold separately than what you could probably get for it by selling it together in a package. As part of a package you have to find a buyer who doesn't really have a high end camera already but understands what an SB-800 is worth. By selling it on it's own you'll get a lot more interested buyers, it will sell faster and you'll most likely make more money off it that you could as part of the bundle.

One great resource for determining what to ask for used equipment is Ebay. Even if you don't plan on selling there, if you used there advanced search feature you can get a pretty quick idea what each piece of equipment has sold for used on average there and use that to give you a good idea as to what sort of price you can ask.

You can also check prices for the same equipment used at places like Adorama, KEH, Cameta, B&B as colnago mentioned, just keep in mind that you are not a retail shop and are offering no warranty - as such you should consider that in your price. If I were to buy one used from KEH for example, if I had a problem I could return it to them to repair/replace or get a refund. When I buy from an individual seller I don't have as much confidence that such is the case, so as a result I incur a higher risk. The price should reflect that - if I'm spending say $200 or so on something if I can get it from one of the big outfits and it's only say $10 or $20 more, well why wouldn't I go with a big outfit?

Also on the D300, double check and see if it is a D300, or a D300 s - the s model generally resales for a lot higher than the older D300 non s version, so that is important to know before researching your prices.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, good luck getting everything sold.

I thank both of you very much for taking the time to respond. Guess I got some home work to do now.

Bill

Yeah, that 70-200 given it's in good shape is worth $1200-1500, depending.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could also sell the stuff to any of the websites mentioned above (KEH, bhphoto, or adorama). You probably won't make as much on the sale, but it will be much quicker and simpler.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back