Nikon D3100 specs and new lenses confirmed?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by emh, Aug 16, 2010.

1. emh

emh TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Sounds like a German magazine has prematurely published the specs of the D3100 and the new Nikon lenses:

Nikon D3100:

14 MP CMOS Sensor (23.2 x 15.5 mm)
    Live View
    3 inch Display
    100 – 12800 ISO
    ISO setting manual or automatic
    11 AF points
    full HD Video (1920 x 1080)
    price 650 €
    new EXPEED2 processor
    improved objects recognition for the AF control
    improved in-camera menu
    user can save picture profiles

New lenses:

Nikkor AF-S DX 55-300/4,5-5,6 G ED VR (ca. 420 €)
    Nikkor AF-S 85/1,4 G with Nano coating (ca. 1650 €) - the new lens contains 10 lens elements in 9 groups (the old version has 9 elements in 8 groups)
    Nikkor AF-S 24-120/4 G ED VR with Nano coating (ca. 1220 €)
    Nikkor AF-S 28-300/3,5-5,6 G ED VR (ca. 1000 €) – UPDATE: it will contain 19 lens elements in 14 groups

A bit more info here.
    And pictures.

2. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Why would Nikon jepardize D5000, and to a lesser extent D90/D300s sales, by introducing a D3100 with those specs?

3. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Ever onward, ever upward...

4. cfusionpm

cfusionpm TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Looks like Nikon is pumping more megapixels in their cameras.

5. supraman215

supraman215 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Really? 650 euros = $834 US? that would be quite an MSRP increase. It would be above the D5000 MSRP. But better specs than the D90. One would think they would try to keep the same price points, at least within reason.

6. Rosshole

Rosshole TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Wow, that's definitely an upgrade!

7. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    The lens designs are for real. The 85mm 1.4 AF-S G is a 10-element in 9 group design, adding 1 over the older 85/1.4 AF-D. The 24-120 VR at a constant f/4 seems like a direct replacement/equalizer for the Canon 24-105 f/4-L, and the new 55-300 seems like a logical way to create an all-new zoom category that would appeal to many two-lens-kit type of shooters/customers.

The Nano-coating system that Nikon invented is really the first breakthough in lens coatings in several decades. Nikon invented that type of coating for their ultra-high-resolution lenses used in the steppers that help to make sensors...Nanocoating is a really,really helpful way to knock out the flare and ghosting that comes from glancing light rays that strike the front element of a lens at steep angles, and will be incorporated in the two new pro-level lenses (the 85/1.4 and the 24-120 f/4), but not on the two consumer-level zooms.

8. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Who knows? It's all just specualtion at this point.

9. emh

emh TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    As I said in an earlier thread, I wouldn't be surprised if Nikon is forced to keep up with Canon in the high MP race just for marketing reasons. Damn Canon for starting this pointless and counter-productive race to increase pixel counts :greenpbl:

BTW, I see this as being not unlike the GHz race in computers that lasted until a few years ago when Intel and AMD quietly admitted it was hurting more than helping and scaled back their clock frequency targets.

Camera pricing doesn't seem to go by exchange rates. Wouldn't surprise me if MSRP in the US ended up pretty close to $650. We also don't know if that price is for body only or for a kit.

10. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Marketing has it's place. I wouldn't be surprised if it was only the consumer cameras that get this boost where the prosumer and professional cameras may get split in 2. One camera for the megapixel hunters, and the other for those who like to be able to take photos of the night sky handheld on horseback.

Afterall marketing reasons and reputations is also what defines customers. I don't think anyone would disagree that someone who comes into the business wanting the absolute best low noise performance would think Canon straight off the mark without weighing in a whole lot of other points, and visa versa with megapixels

Yes / No. There were other reasons that clock race went the way it did. At the time clock increases by Intel were achieved by massively extending the execution pipeline. This had a great cost if the branch prediction went the wrong way as it would cause the loss of every instruction in the pipeline. This introduced another bottleneck in a system completely based on bottlenecks. At the time it made much more sense to attack the bottlenecks with technologies such as hyperthreading, improving branching, adding x64 instructions to eliminate the memory address ceiling, and adding an extra core so a single thread doesn't bring down a system.

Now we're at the stage where we have several cores in consumer computers running applications that simply don't scale well on a parallel basis, and those that do scale in a parallel fashion often run much faster on the GPU. At the height of the GHz war P4s were around 3.8GHz with a bottleneck of a 1Ghz front side bus. The latest Core i7 has a clock speed of 3.3GHz and while it draws about as much heat as the fast processors of yesteryear, it does so over 6 cores, and with far better thermal management. Only the other week PCPro demonstrated an Intel rig that ran at 5GHz which I think was the same record as the old P4 had at the time.

The GHz race wasn't hurting, the designs just didn't have the capability to deal with the faster speeds, nor did the rest of the system have the bandwidth to gain any usable benefit. The GHz race is very much still here, and still alive. I bet we'll see a few more GHz squeezed out of the next few chips before we see another architecture change.

The megapixel race on the other hand IS pointless. You eventually end up in a place where the design of the lenses and camera body limits the resolution of the system and some people say that limit is around the 15-20mpx mark on a full frame DSLR. Actually now that you mention it, it does sound like bolting stupidly long pipelines on inefficient processors :)

11. emh

emh TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think you are giving the average consumer, especially those upgrading from their high-megapixel P&S cameras, too much credit. Most of those folks think more megapixels = better. Just look at the posts we get on here saying the same from time to time. Whether we like it or not, marketing does change consumer perception, which in turn drives demand and affects what gets manufactured.

The GHz race was hurting. Branch mispredicts and memory latencies were preventing increases in GHz from translating to real application performance gains. All the GHz increases did was increase power consumption. If you don't think the rush to higher GHz hasn't stopped, I'll simply point you to the 1st session ("Processor Pipelines") of the 2002 International Symposium on Computer Architecture (program). This is the premier conference in processor design and 2002 was about the height of the GHz race. I don't want to go too far off on this tangent and derail the camera discussion, but I'll simply point out that the types of super-deep pipelines people were talking about in that conference session never materialized.

12. Idahophoto

Idahophoto TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Looks like it will be a damn nice camera. I might actually get one