Nikon D40....what's the next lens?

Flora

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Can anyone suggest a great 2nd lens to own for the Nikon D40, after the 18-50mm? I am really into nature shots, if that helps.

Well first off how much do you intent to spend on this lens?
Consider that a top end lens will be the sort of investment that will last a very very long time whilst a cheap quick solution might suffice for a shorter time before the desire to upgrade comes up.

Also when you say nature do you mean:
insects and flowers and such
wildlife in the zoo
wildlife in the wild - i.e. further off
bird tracking
landscapes

I certainly don't want to go top of the line since I am just a beginner....as far as nature, I would say flowers, plants, etc.

I certainly don't want to go top of the line since I am just a beginner.

technically this is irrelevant as you can alwasy grow into good lenses - and if its a hobby you find yourself keen to follow then its worth the extra now rather than later
For floweres I would think a macro might be a good idea - you can get some upclose shots and interseting angles with a macro

Just get the inexpensive but increasingly popular 55-200VR....

It's cheap.... it has a sharp image... more zoom for your nature shots...

I certainly don't want to go top of the line since I am just a beginner....as far as nature, I would say flowers, plants, etc.

Your 18-55 is surely capable of doing that. Most of the pictures you see from other people are manipulated photos with photoshop or other programs. Without manipulation the instant results don't differ much. Therefore try to have the picture right off the camera firstly right - than everything else is possible.

If you can spend a bit, the 16-85mm vr is a real top class lens that one. That is - if the image quality is your priority.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back