Nikon D5000 (and no, it's not April fools again)

I thought linking to Nikons website would be a good idea Nikon | Imaging Products | Nikon D5000

I think I may get it....if its like the D90. I was going to get the D300, but this just sounds more epic and is closer to my price range. (which is around 250 dollars)

The liveview and neato screan is good. Would be nice for doing macro photography...

Doesnt tell too much about anything else tho.. OFF TO EXPLORE TO FIND THE NIKON D5000 SPEICIFICATIONS. (I will be sure to post them if I find them)

EDIT: I found the specs. They can be found here: http://www.dpreview.com/news/0904/09041402nikond5000.asp

Too bad it doesnt use CF cards, so if I do get it, Id have to have 2 memory cards if I had both cameras. Not cool.

Last edited:
Doesnt tell too much about anything else tho.. OFF TO EXPLORE TO FIND THE NIKON D5000 SPEICIFICATIONS. (I will be sure to post them if I find them)

Too bad it doiesnt use CF cards, so if I do get it, Id have to have 2 memory cards if I had both cameras. Not cool.

D5000 from Nikon

Click on the Tech Specs tab.

Horrible.

The D90 was good enough...how about another prosumer camera between the D300 and D700?

they ran out of 2 and 3 digit numbers, now the 4 digits lol. I remember when someone started a rumor about a phone, Sony Ericsson W999. It was funny by everybody saying they wont have anymore phones from the W line. lol

The D90 was good enough...how about another prosumer camera between the D300 and D700?

It's coming. Once the D300's life is done and over with, the D400 will come out and it will be that model. However, there is no real reason to have another model between them. If you want a D300 with the characteristics of the D700, get the D700... it's already basically the middle ground between a D300 and a D3!

The new D5000 seems to fill a gap between the D60 and D90.. Although it costs almost as much as a D90 and lacks the autofocus motor and CLS, just like the D60 does.

I realize the name D70 is taken already (which would be the logical replacement of the D60), but calling it a D5000 just seems really ridiculous. The name barely even fits on the camera, lol! :)

Nikon's naming system is a freakin' disaster. :lol:

I'm never sure how I would handle it differently though. Probably a totally different approach.

Their naming system needs to be something like this:

DA-X... Digital Amateur
DS-X... Digital proSumer
DP-X... Digital Professional
DF-X... Digital Full-Frame

(where X... is any given number)

This way they can name their models accordingly and consecutively without limits, and add new product lines at any time without confusion.

So, where you have the D40, D60 and D5000, you might have the DA-1, DA-2 and DA-3
D80 and D90 become the DPS-1 and DPS-2
D200, D300 => DP-1, DP-2
D3, D700 => DF-1, DF-2

Their current naming system is such a mess, you'd need a 20-page flowchart to show a newcomer what's what.

What are they going to call the D90's replacement? Can't be the D100, now can it? :lol:

Last edited:
Although if you look at the old numbering system for Nikon's film cameras, they aren't that far off from the current digital system. It was 1, 2, 3, and 4 digit numbers, all over the place -- plus some additional letters just for more confusion!

:lol:

Their naming system needs to be something like this:

DA-X... Digital Amateur
DS-X... Digital proSumer
DP-X... Digital Professional
DF-X... Digital Full-Frame

(where X... is any given number)

This way they can name their models accordingly and consecutively without limits, and add new product lines at any time without confusion.

So, where you have the D40, D60 and D5000, you might have the DA-1, DA-2 and DA-3
D80 and D90 become the DPS-1 and DPS-2
D200, D300 => DP-1, DP-2
D3, D700 => DF-1, DF-2

Their current naming system is such a mess, you'd need a 20-page flowchart to show a newcomer what's what.

What are they going to call the D90's replacement? Can't be the D100, now can it? :lol:

Oh that's pretty good, but you can't do the DF one because the F is a technology option and your other ones are all target customer bases... so you'd likely eventually wind up with a DA-X that is a full frame and then be totally screwed. lol

But maybe you could do what you suggest and do the "special bragging right technology as a rider".

So like, DA-1 for the D70, and DA-7f for when they come out with the 7th amateur level body that has a full frame sensor.

It's coming. Once the D300's life is done and over with, the D400 will come out and it will be that model. However, there is no real reason to have another model between them. If you want a D300 with the characteristics of the D700, get the D700... it's already basically the middle ground between a D300 and a D3!

I have a D200 which is almost completely obsolete...

I use a D300 at work, and I don't want to buy one if the D400 comes out in 2 months...Plus I have the Sigma 70-200 which won't be as good on the FX D700 as it would be on a DX camera...Since I shoot mostly sports, I really can't afford a 300mm lens that I would need if I went FX.

If Nikon has the D40, D60 and D90 and now a D5000 which are all considered "Entry Level" and only two cameras that are Prosumer and ONE being DX format there really isn't much of a choice there for people on that $2K budget.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back