Nikon D5000 vs. Canon EOS Rebel T1i

Ryan Brower

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So I have recently had the need for a DSLR camera, I've never owned one before, but I'm looking to get into photography, etc. So the two cameras I have been looking at are the T1i, and the D5000. I'm just not sure what on to pick they are both on the same level, but the T1i has 1080P video. I also want something that is easy to use and takes overall great photos regardless of my experience. I will use the HD video no matter what one I pick. So the prices aren't really an issue as the Canon is $699 with the 18-55mm lens, and the Nikon is $685 with the 18-55mm lens. So lets hear the opinions!

MY OPINION IS THAT YOU OUGHT TO GO UP to the search bar and type in "Canon T1i or Nikon D5000" and hit "Go" and let your computer chug away, and three pages of search results will come back, along with about 15 good,solid hits, including multiple posts that are your,same, exact question. This question has been asked, and answered multiple times before.

Derrel is right, do lots of searches.

I'll help you out though:

DP REVIEW, this site has great product reviews and comparisons. It helped me a lot when choosing my camera

CLICK ME, DXO is helpful for comparing cameras based on image quality. Not for fancy features.

Personally I would go D5000, it has better image quality and more ISO. Although with anything under the D90 you can only autofocus AF-S and AF-I lenses which might lead to problems if you want older DX lenses. Im not sure about the Canon because I personally l prefer Nikons.

A good way to find out which you like better is to go into a store and hold them in real life, see which one is easier for you to shoot with and which you prefer.

Hope that helps, Dan.

Personally I would go D5000, it has better image quality and more ISO. Although with anything under the D90 you can only autofocus AF-S and AF-I lenses which might lead to problems if you want older DX lenses. Im not sure about the Canon because I personally l prefer Nikons.

I'm not terribly familiar with Nikon lenses and lack of autofocus, but every Canon EF and EF-S lens will autofocus on every Canon EOS body (Rebel, xxxD, xxD, xD).

I also want something that is easy to use and takes overall great photos regardless of my experience
This, is an oxymoron.

every Canon EF and EF-S lens will autofocus on every Canon EOS body (Rebel, xxxD, xxD, xD).

Yes, Canon in 1987 introduced the EF mount (Electro Focus) and quit putting AF motors in any of their camera bodies. Nikon only recently started doing so and only with their entry-level cameras. Nikon has a pretty nice selection of lenses that have AF motors in them so entry-level shooters aren't left out, by any means.

The D5000 and T1i are not at the same level in their respective model lineups.

Though the D5000 has better image quality and ISO performance than the T1i, Nikon's D90 is the direct competitor to the T1i.

You may want to note that Nikon cameras have color-aware auto focus and metering and Canon cameras don't. Edit: It has been pointed out Canon has a new camera that has a color aware metering system, but it's not the T1i, it's the new 7D.

You may also notice, from looking at the test info at DXOMark.com, that Canon's cameras just don't have the overall image quality and ISO performance most Nikons have.

But, if price is your main criteria, none of that matters, buy what you can afford.

Last edited:

I'm not terribly familiar with Nikon lenses and lack of autofocus, but every Canon EF and EF-S lens will autofocus on every Canon EOS body (Rebel, xxxD, xxD, xD).

Thanks! Im a nikon guy so I dont know much about Canon. :er:

Actually, I think you may be right. Canon is finally giving it a try. I'm off to check.

Yep, here it is: New iFCL Metering with 63-zone dual-layer metering system uses both focus and color information to provide accurate exposure...

I love my D5000 but yes having a video mode of 720p is good but keep in mind is a camera not a replacement for a camcorder some people tend to forget this.
Color Matrix II metering :thumbup::drool:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back