Nikon D5100 or D7000

Ziggy I'm in the same situation...I was pretty much convinced on the D7000 and then I went to the local brick & mortar. Both guys working there strongly suggested the D5100 with the 18-55 and 55-300 for $800 (rare but refreshing when a salesperson trys to downsell you). I guess the Nikon rebates end 12/15 but honestly can't see them going away if not getting better. My concern is that they discount the D7000 after the 15th. For those experienced users out there what is your opinion on which will be easier to learn with...some say the D5100 is easier as there is less clutter and you can dive into the menu when ready and others say that the D7000 has too many controls (which most consider a positive) on the body and will just confuse a beginning DSLR user. Not trying to hijack your thread Ziggy...just thought this was on the same topic.

Last edited:
Im new to DSLR's and photography in general. I just purchased the D7000 on Tuesday after reading reviews and advice form this forums members...I cant comment on the D5100, but i can say how delighted i am with my purchase.

Its pretty easy to get round the functions (Useful help menu) and i have found that the shortcut keys (ISO in particular) have been really good...Need to really read up to get into the thick of it, but one thing at a time i guess.

Enjoy it, whatever you buy.. :D

Ziggy I'm in the same situation...I was pretty much convinced on the D7000 and then I went to the local brick & mortar. Both guys working there strongly suggested the D5100 with the 18-55 and 55-300 for $800 (rare but refreshing when a saleperson trys to downsell you). I guess the Nikon rebates end 12/15 but honestly can't see them going away if not getting better. My concern is that they discount the D7000 after the 15th. For those experienced users out there what is your opinion on which will be easier to learn with...some say the D5100 is easier as there is less clutter and you can dive into the menu when ready and others say that the D7000 has too many controls (which most consider a positive) on the body and will just confuse a beginning DSLR user. Not trying to hijack your thread Ziggy...just thought this was on the same topic.

No worries Horsemover. My two cents...While what Dave_cath00 said about the ISO dial is true with the 5100; there isn't an external ISO dial, but there is a button you can program to designate as the ISO, or any function you choose. You really can't go wrong with the 5100. Your getting two lens, (the same lens I am getting) and a new body for $800 dude. That's value right there. With the 7000 a few years old now, I'm sure Nikon will bring out a 7100 soon. I almost went with the 7000, but decided that learning digi on the 5100 is fine for me. It has the same expeed2 processor, and basically the same CMOS sensor so your not giving much up on dynamic range, color depth or low light iso. Check out DxOMark - DxOMark by DxO Labs Someone here on this site posted it, and I checked it out. You can compare different cameras and how their sensors are rated in the three categories I mentioned. This helped me make my decision as well.

Im new to DSLR's and photography in general. I just purchased the D7000 on Tuesday after reading reviews and advice form this forums members...I cant comment on the D5100, but i can say how delighted i am with my purchase.

Its pretty easy to get round the functions (Useful help menu) and i have found that the shortcut keys (ISO in particular) have been really good...Need to really read up to get into the thick of it, but one thing at a time i guess.

Enjoy it, whatever you buy.. :D

Nice Dave! Congrats on the new toy. Have fun learning on it. I know I will when I get my 5100!

Thanks Dave and Ziggy! I suppose I am beating myself up over nothing...I just need to pull the trigger and get started.

........D700000000000000000000000000000000

my best attempt at trying to make it look like a haunting voice......lol

Thanks Dave and Ziggy! I suppose I am beating myself up over nothing...I just need to pull the trigger and get started.

I wouldn't say your beating yourself up. Hell, look how much I posted just throughout this thread alone. You really need to research into what it is you think you need, and if you'll use all the functions of a 7k. Basically all the functions of a 7k is on a 5100, well most. The 7k has the benefit of the sealed body so you don't have to worry about dust, and you can shoot in the rain. For that reason only, I almost bought the 7k. I like to explore and shoot urban decay, which tends to be dirty and dusty where I like to shoot. The only reason you can get a 5100 for so cheap right now is because the 5200 is coming out in a few months. I don't think you'll get that benefit with the 7k until the 7100 comes out. Just something to think about...

I was choosing between 5100 and 7000 as well. I have bought 5100. The reason is - this is my first DSLR and I am not yet sure how much time, energy and desire will I dedicate to my digital photography. Nikons (just like about everything) are more expensive here in UK, and 5100 kit cost £799 ( that's $1288) here just several months ago. Now with 5200 hitting the shelves I was able to buy it for £360 ($580). D7000 is still about £630 - £650, almost twice as expensive.
So I thought that 5200 would be a good start for the time being or maybe I will stick forever to Auto mode ( just like, lets face it, do many budget DSLR owners) and will never ever want more. But if the photo bug will eventually bite, ( AND - what IS important - if I realise I am capable of a good, creative photography which is worth spending time and effort - because by the end of the day it is not the camera but the one who presses the buttons makes great pictures), I will then upgrade in a couple of years. I have a sneaking feeling that in three years £700 - £900 will buy a much better body than D7000. But I have to be sure that it will not be gathering dust on my shelf. And I want to know exactly what i want from the camera. I think not knowing it makes buying a prosumer camera pointless. Just thought that any really serious camera needs an educated decision. Correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited:
I was choosing between 5100 and 7000 as well. I have bought 5100. The reason is - this is my first DSLR and I am not yet sure how much time, energy and desire will I dedicate to my digital photography. Nikons (just like about everything) are more expensive here in UK, and 5100 kit cost £799 ( that's $1288) here just several months ago. Now with 5200 hitting the shelves I was able to buy it for £360 ($580). D7000 is still about £630 - £650, almost twice as expensive.
So I thought that 5200 would be a good start for the time being or maybe I will stick forever to Auto mode ( just like, lets face it, do many budget DSLR owners) and will never ever want more. But if the photo bug will eventually bite, ( AND - what IS important - if I realise I am capable of a good, creative photography which is worth spending time and effort - because by the end of the day it is not the camera but the one who presses the buttons makes great pictures), I will then upgrade in a couple of years. I have a sneaking feeling that in three years £700 - £900 will buy a much better body than D7000. But I have to be sure that it will not be gathering dust on my shelf. And I want to know exactly what i want from the camera. I think not knowing it makes buying a prosumer camera pointless. Just thought that any really serious camera needs an educated decision. Correct me if I am wrong.

Well said brother. Well ya your in London, the second most expensive city in the world! haha.. Isn't gas over there like $10/gallon? And American's complain about 4.50/gallon.

Well said brother. Well ya your in London, the second most expensive city in the world! haha.. Isn't gas over there like $10/gallon? And American's complain about 4.50/gallon.

It is $9.70 So you can fill up your car 5 times ( 4 if its a big one) or buy a Nikon 5200. This is London for you. And it rains.

It is $9.70 So you can fill up your car 5 times ( 4 if its a big one) or buy a Nikon 5200. This is London for you. And it rains.

Yeah well not having virtually any oil reserves in your country/Europe, doesn't help much huh...Yeah, I think it rains alittle too much for me. Here in Southern California when it rains, houses fall off the sides of mountains. haha London is a beautiful country though. Never been there, but would love to go sometime. Always wanted to see Stonehenge in person. Maybe some day

Yeah well not having virtually any oil reserves in your country/Europe, doesn't help much huh...Yeah, I think it rains alittle too much for me. Here in Southern California when it rains, houses fall off the sides of mountains. haha London is a beautiful country though. Never been there, but would love to go sometime. Always wanted to see Stonehenge in person. Maybe some day

I have been to California once, loved it - rented a car in San-Francisco and drove South down the ocean, Santa Barbara, LA, San Diego and back via Sequoia National Forest (still rememeber the smell) , Yosemite and some beautiful places. One of the journeys of my life. What a pity I had no proper camera. Some places were just jaw dropping. Stonehenge is just a pile of stones.

I have been to California once, loved it - rented a car in San-Francisco and drove South down the ocean, Santa Barbara, LA, San Diego and back via Sequoia National Forest (still rememeber the smell) , Yosemite and some beautiful places. One of the journeys of my life. What a pity I had no proper camera. Some places were just jaw dropping. Stonehenge is just a pile of stones.

LOL A pile of stones? I have heard they have trouble with graffiti on Stonehenge now? SMH No respect. I love history, so ya...Def need to bring your SLR next trip here! Next time through Yosemite you need to go see Bodie State Park. The biggest ghost town in the States. That would be a really cool picture project, IF your into abandonment type photography. I am :)

I am a D7000 user but if you do not need a hard core body and bells and whistles then the 5100 takes great photos and is priced right.

Thanks kshapero. Yeah, I went to Best Buy and held both cameras in my hands. Both are great cameras, but I went with the 5100. The value is there, like I said, $800 for body and lens. I can always upgrade the body when/if they bring out the 7100.

Ziggy I m having the same problem, I started off wanting the d3100 but have enough for the d5100, But I am seriously considering getting a second hand body d7000 with new lense only prob I guess is the fear of being ripped off, CALLING ALL PROS i see alot about shutter counts??! I am totally unknowledgable on such things, When buying a second hand body what must you look out fr? also would you recommend a brand spanker d5100 or risk buying a second hand body d7000?? Its driving me nuts trying to decide, Jessops in uk are trying to flog me the sony a37 I can also afford??.... Please help!!!!

Most reactions

Back