Nikon D300 upgrade... HELP

DylanColon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm sitting here in confusion not quite sure what to upgrade to.

Basically I need a camera that will work beautifully with HDR and architecture. Low light performance would be nice, but usually I'll be working on a tripod or with a flash. My D300 is really being pushed to the limit with mid range ISO values and it's starting to bug me.

I can't exactly afford an FX Nikon right now, even though the D600 is super tempting. I'm a poor college student who is going to get some help with Christmas money from my parents.

I am contemplating jumping ship and getting the 5D MKII simply because it is a cheap full frame, and the video performance is gorgeous.

I am also contemplating just getting the D7000 and calling it a day, then I won't have to lose my lens kit (70-200mm f2.8, 17-55mm f2.8) because I had to sell it for a wide angle FF lens and the body of an FF.

Another option is Sony's NEX-7. The image quality is fantastic from that little beast, and I do have experience with mirrorless already (I also own a GF1). I'm a little iffy about the switch to Sony though.

Should I just wait for the D400 that's expected to be announced in January?

SO MANY OPTIONS! Thank you so much for any help.

Here's most of my old work. I need to get a real portfolio website where I can upload my newest shots for architecture and whatnot. 500px / Dylan Colon / Photos

Budget?
Primary use?
What lenses do you already have?

You say you want a camera that can do HDR and architecture, but HDR is more about software then camera and architecture performance is more about lens then camera. Especially if you're working on a tripod, as you can just increase the shutter speed instead of jumping the ISO.

Answer those questions above and we should be able to give you much better recommendations.

PS, at this point I certainly wouldn't recommend buying a 4 year old Canon model when when there are plenty of options that offer similar or equal performance in addition to many more features like improved autofocus. Especially, when you already have lenses and accessories invested in a different brand...

HDR, tripod, flash, ISO 200.... What's the dilemma?

HDR, tripod, flash, ISO 200.... What's the dilemma?
This is my general habit now, but it's not a constant thing. I do have rare cases where I can't do this, especially in buildings where tripods and monopods are banned.

My budget is about the price of the D600, 2k. That's my last resort, but it is also one that I fancy. It's a beautiful camera, and seems like the natural step up for me.

While I do agree that architecture does rely on optical elements more than the body of the camera itself, HDR really does feed off of larger full frame sensors. They allow for much greater dynamic range from one single RAW file and will output a file that looks much much better than the DX counterpart; if you know what you are doing.

I would love the beauty of using a tripod everywhere, but it is not one that exists.

Sounds you already talked yourself into the D600. And if you feel it will fit the bill. But you will be giving up your outstanding glass in sacrifice. With that glass I would probably hold off for the D400 2-3 months away?

But like mentioned the setup you have is quite capable for the things you are doing. And unclear about your needs vs. wants.

After looking at your photos, i would either save up for a D600 or find a lightly used D700.

The D300 is a good camera... but now might be the time to sell it (before the D400/D8000 comes out). You could also sell your 17-55 f/2.8 and try to find a lightly used 28-70 f/2.8 (older lens).

If you want to move over to mirrorless, i'd wait a bit... Sony doesn't have the lens selection m4/3's has... M4/3 doesn't have the sensor size Sony Has.. Fuji has some good options but they also are lacking lenses..

At least with Nikon or Canon you have a full catalog of lenses to choose from.

Just my .002c.

If you don't know what camera to buy, buy lenses.
If you don't know what lenses to buy, get a flash.
If you don't know what flash to buy, get a tripod and head.
If you can decide on that, then buy some processing software.

If you're still having problems deciding what you need, buy a plane ticket to a place you've never been and take some pictures.

Spend money when you know what you need without asking strangers.

If your 300 is not giving what you want, then you need the next higher model. Of course the newer the better. end of the day, it comes down to $. buy the highest model you can afford. no matter it is nikon, canon or pentax, etc they are all the same.

Given your interestes, the D7000 / D600 are good thoughts.. but I would think long and hard before heading into the 4/3, smaller sensor is probably not the way to go. If you see yourself getting more seriously into photography, head the D600 way, or if not, the D7000 would be a good choice. Also, I think the D400 is still mythical. It may happen, not known when or actually if. JD

Given what you will have to spend to get equivalent FX glass and the type of photography you are doing, you would be way ahead to save up for a D800E.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back