Nikon D5100 problems

EchoingWhisper said:
Why not? If you know what to do, auto ISO will save you time.

But auto ISO can give you pretty high ISO's in situations where it's not needed.

EchoingWhisper said:
Why not? If you know what to do, auto ISO will save you time.

But auto ISO can give you pretty high ISO's in situations where it's not needed.

Megan, I agree totally!

Echoing Whisper: I would much rather take the 3 or 4 second it takes to manually set my ISO (if shooting manual).. it takes less time than that in Aperture Priority! So where are the "time savings"? lol! If it takes you longer than that, you need more practice!

Last edited:
In an earlier post you said something like "what if I wanted my aperture at f/11". What will your picture look like at f/11? Do you know why you would want to take a picture at f/11? And the correct answer is not because you were told it's a sharp aperture.
I would use that if i wanted a longer sharpness. So not only sharp in the front of the picture, but also more to the background . And to answer completely :
the shutterspeed is more slow if F/.. goes up (bigger n°) , if you lower it (F/..) shutterspeed goes up (faster)
And I do listen what you say , turned off auto ISO and so on.
But what I'll do :
I'll try to make some pictures , will take them on F/5 (so big open , lot of light coming in) and than i will write down what SS it gives me at f.e. Iso 200 , and if my meter is in the middle or not.
And what Iso I have to go to get a nice shutterspeed.

@anfibil , what other settings do you mean ? The camera does a good job selecting the correct setting.
You mean the other presets ? landscape , nightphoto , ........

No, if you set the right shutter speed and aperture in manual mode, you'll never encounter ISO that are too high. It doesn't only consume less time, it also helps you choose the right exposure in a fast changing situation.

In an earlier post you said something like "what if I wanted my aperture at f/11". What will your picture look like at f/11? Do you know why you would want to take a picture at f/11? And the correct answer is not because you were told it's a sharp aperture.
I would use that if i wanted a longer sharpness. So not only sharp in the front of the picture, but also more to the background . And to answer completely :
the shutterspeed is more slow if F/.. goes up (bigger n°) , if you lower it (F/..) shutterspeed goes up (faster)
And I do listen what you say , turned off auto ISO and so on.
But what I'll do :
I'll try to make some pictures , will take them on F/5 (so big open , lot of light coming in) and than i will write down what SS it gives me at f.e. Iso 200 , and if my meter is in the middle or not.

@anfibil , what other settings do you mean ? The camera does a good job selecting the correct setting.
You mean the other presets ? landscape , nightphoto , ........

I mean "shutter speed" if I'm on Aperture Priority or "aperture" if I''m on shutter speed priority. I wasn't talking about presets.

But what I'll do :
Some of you guys with a 5100 correct me if I'm wrong, but if he's seeing the meter indicator isn't he shooting in manual mode? In anything other than manual mode the -.......|......+ meter is not displayed, correct? At least that's he way my D90 and D60 behave.

But what I'll do :
Some of you guys with a 5100 correct me if I'm wrong, but if he's seeing the meter indicator isn't he shooting in manual mode? In anything other than manual mode the -.......|......+ meter is not displayed, correct? At least that's he way my D90 and D60 behave.

It's displayed on all modes actually. Though you have no control over it unless you are shooting in manual.

But what I'll do :

It's displayed on all modes actually. Though you have no control over it unless you are shooting in manual.

Yep, when the light level is too low or too high for your camera to handle compensate any further, then there will be changes in the meter.

No, if you set the right shutter speed and aperture in manual mode, you'll never encounter ISO that are too high. It doesn't only consume less time, it also helps you choose the right exposure in a fast changing situation.

I'd rather have consistent quality rather than ease of use.

Yep, when the light level is too low or too high for your camera to handle compensate any further, then there will be changes in the meter.
Good enough. I'm not that familiar with the 5100. Thanks for the info.

yeah, and all you have to do is set the fn button to control ISO, as opposed to timer, and it's about the easiest thing ever. ISO is such a heavy handed adjustment, as compared to everything else, that you definitely want to be the one controlling it.

EchoingWhisper said:

Not really. It only takes a second to raise/lower your ISO so having it set to auto doesn't save anytime.

Consistent quality? If the light is changing quickly, you might not get the photo. Better something than nothing right?

EchoingWhisper said:

Not really. It only takes a second to raise/lower your ISO so having it set to auto doesn't save anytime.

It does matter when you're in a fast changing situation. Even if you aren't in a fast changing situation, you'll set your aperture and your shutter speed to take care of motion blur and depth of field, and let noise take care of itself. Even if you weren't on auto ISO, you'll eventually need to increase the ISO right? If you worry about high ISOs, simply make the aperture larger or make the shutter speed slower. Simple? KenRockwell shoots with auto ISO too! Anyway, this was just a suggestion to help the OP. Setting Auto ISO on manual is actually like Aperture+ShutterSpeed Priority. Why do you shoot Aperture Priority? Why do you shoot Shutter Speed priority?

Also, one thing, when shooting auto ISO in manual mode, you don't have exposure compensation though, so your pictures might turn out not the way you want, but the metering technology is so good nowadays you need not worry.

EchoingWhisper said:
It does matter when you're in a fast changing situation. Even if you aren't in a fast changing situation, you'll set your aperture and your shutter speed to take care of motion blur and depth of field, and let noise take care of itself. Even if you weren't on auto ISO, you'll eventually need to increase the ISO right? If you worry about high ISOs, simply make the aperture larger or make the shutter speed slower. Simple? KenRockwell shoots with auto ISO too! Anyway, this was just a suggestion to help the OP. Setting Auto ISO on manual is actually like Aperture+ShutterSpeed Priority. Why do you shoot Aperture Priority? Why do you shoot Shutter Speed priority?

Also, one thing, when shooting auto ISO in manual mode, you don't have exposure compensation though, so your pictures might turn out not the way you want, but the metering technology is so good nowadays you need not worry.

How is shooting auto ISO going to help the OP? You said as long as you know what shutter speed and aperture your ISO won't be too high. Well, since the OP doesn't know what settings to use how will this help him? It won't. He was shooting on auto ISO and it wasn't working for him.
Ken Rockwell isn't the best person to take advice from. And exposure compensation does work on auto ISO.

If you worry about high ISO then set the ISO yourself - how is changing the aperture or shutter speed any different or less time consuming then changing ISO? ISO isn't like aperture/shutter priority. ISO can have a negative effect on the image - more so for a newbie!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back