Nikon D600 vs Canon 5D Mark-ii – Which one to buy?

Well.. I don't shoot with Canon lenses or anything, so the choice is pretty simple. D700.

Comparing brand new camera.. to a camera thats a few years old...

bhop said:
Well.. I don't shoot with Canon lenses or anything, so the choice is pretty simple. D700.

Funny u said 700. I was just talking with a body, I said the same- given choice of 600, 700, 800.

Hmmmm, a BRAND-NEW Nikon, announced just yesterday, versus a four year-old Canon 5D-II...

Positive features of Canon 5D MARK -II
1) Better shutter speed (1/8000 vs 1/4000)
2) Larger view finder (0.17x)
Positive features of Nikon D600
1) More focus points
2) In built HDR function
3) Larger screen
4) Shoots faster
5) Built-in flash
6) More cross-type focus points
The Nikon is what the article you referenced is saying is, "their suggestion" between the two cameras. Brand new versus already obsoleted by a higher-spec'd,newer model? For basically the same price point. And the first of the Canon's TWO (just two???) advantages, the "Better shutter speed" of 1/8000 versus the Nikon's top speed of 1/4000...wow, that's amazingly unimportant. I seldom, as in hardly ever, need more than 1/2500 second. Very,very,very infrequently will 1/4000 ever come off as being "too slow" of a max speed!

And, the dumbest thing??? THe Nikon has color-aware light metering for flash and ambient light....the 5D-II is color blind and dumb. COlor un-aware ambient and flash metering. If you want a high-end run-n-gun d-slr, the 5D-II is NOT for you; it is designed for a shooter who KNOWS HOW TO WORK A SIMPLE camera....it is very,very old-school and low-tech. The 5D series has always been for "serious" shooters; the D600 is a prosumer/hobbyist/MWAC/GWAC/rich casual user's high-end camera.

RhysPhotograph.me said:
1/4000 was deal breaker for me. If your shooting with a zoom it's no problem, but I spend most of the time at F1.4

I never even considered 1/1000 when i bought my Leica, if you know what you are doing you can get round it

RhysPhotograph.me said:
1/4000 was deal breaker for me. If your shooting with a zoom it's no problem, but I spend most of the time at F1.4

I never even considered 1/1000 when i bought my Leica, if you know what you are doing you can get round it

Who want's to 'get around stuff'?

Derrel said:
F/1.2???? Go film bro, and go f/1.1!!!! Voigtlander 50/1.1 Nokton

You were calling Cosina the other day

Exactly gary. I own some Voigtlander stuff...it's priced fairly for what it actually "is"...but the stuff they make with the Zeiss nameplates on the front costs 3x more...same Japanese-made stuff, made by a traditionally middle-of-the-road lens maker, being sold as "Voigtlander"...yet another old, dead brand name, Voigtlander, BOUGHT UP and resurrected to make people think it's "Gerrrrrrr-man". Branding. And shooting at f/1.2, and f/1.1...yeahhhhh, riiiiight. Crock.

RhysPhotograph.me said:

1/1000...what is the X-synch speed on Leica M gear??? I know it's absolutely fricking PATHETIC...is it still stuck at 1/50th second?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back