Nikon D7100

I'd skip on the 18-55 kit zoom, and go up a ways to a MUCH better lens, like the 16-85mm DX, which is probably Nikon's best all-around DX zoom lens utility lens offering. Or, the 18-105 DX zoom. If you want ONE lens, you want to take the camera out with something that's better,and more-versatile, than the 18-55. The 18-55 is like $100 that could have been applied to a better lens, wasted...you can hardly get out from under an 18-55 kit zoom...they are worthless on the used market.

People who espouse the top-shelf-glass-only mantra are usually photo-fanatics, who would almost always suggest a MASSIVE lens like a 24-70 f/2.8 zoom, or a $2,500 70-200/2.8 zoom, when in most cases "regular" users would be better-served by a lens that is 90% as good optically, but which weighs less than half as much, and costs $1,000 to $1,600 LESS, and is actually what 'most' people really would LIKE to carry, and use.

Stop by Thom Hogan's Nikon site, or Ken Rockwell's Nikon section, to get some reviews on lenses.

The D7100 is such an awesome camera. One thing that I found out rather quickly is that you will need to pay attention to the approved SD, SDHC and SDXC cards in the manual. I had purchased two 16GB cards that were not listed (didn't know that there was an approval list at the time of buying) and they do not work. They will not format with the camera. I ran out today at lunchtime and purchased two SanDisk 16GB SDHC cards and they worked beautifully. I will be testing out my new Sigma 10-20mm lens this evening with the 7100 :D

I just got the D7100 and was in pretty much the same boat. Of your list of preferences the only thing I wasn't particularly interested in was the macro part but I do a lot of portraits, dog shots (my own and shots for the Humane Society), landscapes and indoor shots. I went with the Nikon 85mm 1.8G and the Sigma 12-24mm and seriously couldn't be happier. They are both just ridiculous lenses and serve their purpose brilliantly. In the near future I will probably add the Sigma 70-200 2.8 or a 300mm prime and call it a day.

I've heard great things about Nikon's 35mm and 50mm 1.8G as well but I find the 85mm focal point to be more suited to my style for portraits.

Whatever focal points you decide to go with I would advise that you forgo the kit lens and opt for some better quality glass - you'll fare way better.

In general, the kit lens is fine for the average person. If you honestly want to take your photography up to the next level, I would invest in better glass. Always put most of your money toward better glass than a better camera body. You can have the best camera body in the world, but with crappy glass it's not going to matter.

I pre-ordered my D7100 and I was looking at the 18-300 because it was $300 off ($700) at the moment. After handling one and reading some of the reviews, I decided to go with the 16-85 for $550 with the $100 rebate and the 70-300 vr for $390 after a $200 rebate for buying it with camera.
I am still not sure I made the right call; maybe if/when I become a better photographer I'll feel better about my decision.

I pre-ordered my D7100 and I was looking at the 18-300 because it was $300 off ($700) at the moment. After handling one and reading some of the reviews, I decided to go with the 16-85 for $550 with the $100 rebate and the 70-300 vr for $390 after a $200 rebate for buying it with camera.
I am still not sure I made the right call; maybe if/when I become a better photographer I'll feel better about my decision.

I'd be happy with your decision. I own the 18-200, it's convenient having that much zoom, but you definitely notice IQ decrease. After I purchased mine, I heard all the reviews of super zooms diminishing quality. So, you kind of get to pick between better IQ or convenience. In hindsight, I would have done what you had.

Eventhough the 18-105mm kit lens is the best or amongst the best of the kit lens (I know, I have one), I would spend a few hundred more and get the 18-200 VRII. The best all-purpose, general, everyday lens that you will need (I know, I have one)

You won't be dissapointed with the 70-300mm VR - It is a great lens, very sharp, light weight for it's size (I've had one for four years)

Are there any companies who stock this camera that aren't based in NY? I'd prefer not to give NY the money from sales tax if at all possible.

Just picked up one today at Best Buy in Dover, DE....1199.99 out the door.... "No Taxes"

Are there any companies who stock this camera that aren't based in NY? I'd prefer not to give NY the money from sales tax if at all possible.

Just picked up one today at Best Buy in Dover, DE....1199.99 out the door.... "No Taxes"
Just got mine two days ago - It's nice so far! Adorama

I myself am going to purchase a D700 this or next month. Most of the photography I have done is outdoor stuff as well. Much of the watery and constructing projects are my target but random pics are my most favorite clicks ....... which i have been able to take from my mobile camera only yet....!!!!

You definitely made the right decision.
I have the D90 and D7100 and the 70-300 is noticeably sharper than my 18-200 VRII @200mm when used on the D7100. On the D90 the 18-200 takes good pics at 200mm because of the lower resolution sensor.

I was in the same boat as you a month ago. I learned that the most cost-effective way of acquiring lenses is used.

My advice for you would be to purchase the body only, if you're not in a hurry, find a used 18-105VR as I got mine for $180 in mint condition!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back