Nikon D80, Suggestions Please?

charlie88

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Okay so I just got my First Digital SLR camera (Nikon D80) for my birthday. I'm sorta new to almost everything this wonderful camera has to offer. I would be very thankful if I can get any suggests.

Hmm, what would you like to take pictures of? Landscapes, animals, architecture, portraits? You know what you would like best, so I would suggest you take it from there. Take a browse through the user's manual to get acquainted with your D80 (I hear it's a great camera by the way, congratulations!).

My best advice would be to go out there and take some pictures, you have a digital, so no fear of getting any bad ones. Post your pictures in one of the gallery forums and check for feedback, people are happy to help. Be sure to take a look around the forums for more information, look at other people's pictures and read through the comments. And by all means post any questions you might have.

A good place to start, for some information: www.photo.net

Read the manual, take a ton of pictures, post some here, listen and learn, repeat.

It is a great camera, I've been so use to the point and shoot camera w/ only a few buttons. It's hard to understand all the buttons a DSLR has to offer.

You could always start off with the digital vari-program modes (sports, landscape, portrait) before moving onto things like shutter priority and manual mode. The vari-program modes will be more familiar to point and shoot cameras - they still allow you to change some settings though.

I can totally relate to what you are going through. The cameras I had before I got my D200 was a Pentex K1000 and a Canon ELPH. Such a world of difference. I find myself just taking tons of pictures and going back to read the manual. It can be like information over load but just keep reading, rereading and posting on this site. After a while you will learn what your camera can all do. It is a very nice one at that.

i know the felling i did the same thing with my d50 i was like a kid on cristmas onley i was one
now a year later i know how to use it
this is a great place to learn though

It's so confusing. But I keep reread the manual and posting up questions, this forum has been a great help. This can be a very confusing process, but I enjoying spending time w/ my newly found love.

Most reactions

Back