Nikon D90 Tips & Tricks.....? Please Share

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by av8er79, Dec 10, 2008.

1. av8er79

av8er79 TPF Noob!

I just got my d90 last week along with the 18-200 vr. I will soon be adding the 50mm 1.8 and a wide angle as well. I am reading throught the manual as well as playing around in the field.

I was hoping that some of you that are more experienced d90 owners would share some advice and or tips?;)

2. chrisburke

chrisburke TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    this should be in the beginners forum, not beyond the basics...

not a d90 owner, but i recommend doing some reading... [ame="http://www.amazon.ca/Understanding-Exposure-Photographs-Digital-Camera/dp/0817463003"]understanding exposure[/ame] would be a good place to start

3. av8er79

av8er79 TPF Noob!

Not sure why it should be in the beginners forum when I hope to discuss exposure methods, bracketing techniques, lighting, control tips, custom white balance settings, AF Modes/tips, metering, flash compensation as well as personal experiences with iso settings... ect. Thanks for the book recommendation. I already own it and I agree that it is a good book.

4. Craddie

Craddie TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Don't buy 3rd party lenses longer than 35mm if you plan to AF with LiveView.

5. chrisburke

chrisburke TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    because if you look at the beginners forums, there are many threads on exposure methods, bracketing techniques, lighting, control tips, custom white balance settings, AF Modes/tips, metering, flash compensation as well as personal experiences with iso settings

my understanding of beyond the basics is that its for people who for the most part have a grasp on these basic things... i guess i could be wrong, but I dont think i am

6. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It should belong in the basics, becuase what you are asking for *are* the basics! :lol: Even though... with all the things that you are asking for, it would take a BOOK to answer, and not likely to get answered in a single post here (not realistic to ask for such an answer either).

I highly suggest you look into Thom Hogan's Complete Guide to the D90 (I am not sure if it is even out yet, but this is the BEST place for D90 info).

As an example, I got the version for the D700... close to 900 pages of pure unadulterated knowledge (and yeah, a lot of it is still basic).

7. chrisburke

chrisburke TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    ^^^ i can always count on you jerry to feel the same as I do about topics like this... sometimes I wonder if people think i'm a cranky old man... i'm not people (only 24), and I don't think jerry is either... i just hate it when people post in the wrong place because they think they will get better answers... the "vets" of TPF look at the beginners forum too, and they almost always answer questions.. posting a beginner question in the beyond forum just strikes me as "i didnt think i'd get good answers in the other forum"... just my opinion..

BTW Jerry, do you have a site or a flickr or anything like that?? i'm not sure i've ever seen any of your pics... you seem knowledgeable though.. makes me think you might have some good shots

NM i think i found it.. ??? http://www.flickr.com/photos/jerryph/????

8. av8er79

av8er79 TPF Noob!

Well thanks for all you help guys.... Guess I will hit amazon and order a stack of books... obsovioulsy I am simply wasting our time asking dumbass questions in your forum.

9. lockwood81

lockwood81 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm not a Nikon user so I shouldn't be posting in this thread, but I think the point they are making is that specific questions can and will be address, but the OPs first post was much too general.

10. av8er79

av8er79 TPF Noob!

11. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Firstly read your manual - cover to cover
    then go read it again! :)
    many tips like the ones you link to are people discovering modes in the camera that they never noticed - its all in the little manual book.

beyond that the sort of advice you ask for is just way too general in nature - much applies to the ambient lighting around you, the scene before you - what you intend to capture as well as what kit you have. I could tell you about shooting wildlife, but that would be wasted advice if your mostly shooting in studio environments.

Best thing is to go out and take some shots yourself of what you want to - use auto modes or custom modes as you desire and see the end results - then come here, post some (say 5 at most) of the best results along with what kit you used and the aperture, ISO and shutter speed for each shot (this info isin the EXIF data and can be accessed by going to the propertise on a photo file on your computer and reviewing the details tab) Also note what mode you were shooting in.
    People then have an idea of what you are photographing, what your light was like atthe time (roughly) and also how your mind is working with regard to taking the photo - we can then start giving more specific help

12. andrew99

andrew99 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The 50 f1.8 is a great little lens. I also recently got the Nikkor 35mm f2.0, which I think is a more useful range for shooting indoors, so consider that one too. As for wide angle, I love the Sigma 10-20!