Nikon L620

Wally96333

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

I have a Nikon L620 that I've been using for several years now. The battery door has been sprung, and the LCD screen has a crack from being dropped on a hard floor.

I am debating with myself as to whether to have it repaired or to get a new camera.

If I get a new camera of a different make/model, I would want something comparable, so I am posting here for advice from the experts.

I like the size of the L620. I would like for a new camera to be of the same size. A new camera MUST be powered by AA batteries (as I have a load of AA rechargeable batteries that I use in both cameras and flashlights), and it would have to take full-size SD cards (as I have a load of those). The only thing that I don't like about the L620 is the same knock that most other people have against this camera: It takes a while for it to focus.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Product Identifiers

Brand Nikon
Model L620
Product Key Features
Optical Zoom 14x
Digital Zoom 2x
Features Af Tracking, Auto Focus, Self Timer, Image Stabilization
ConnectivityUSB
Additional Product Features
Exterior ColorBlack
Sensor Resolution 18.1MP
Camera TypePoint & Shoot
Display Type Tft LCD
Screen Size 3.0"in.
Type Point & Shoot

-----------------------------------------------------------

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

It has been quite a few years since small cameras were powered by double a batteries. The double A digicam mostly disappeared by Obama's second term. The new battery pack concept gives you quite a bit more battery life and is rechargeable around 1000 times or so, maybe more.

Last edited:
The L620 was introduced in August of 2013. I looked on eBay and you can buy a replacement for $60 which I think would be less than the cost of repairs for a camera with a cracked LCD screen.

I used to have one of those.
The particular market for "compact digital cameras" was decimated by cell phones, and that segment has virtually disappeared.

Best solution is to find a new old stock on eBay or even a cheap used one as mentioned.
But they were slow to focus as you mentioned.
I also used rechargeable AA batteries. Until I dropped it which cracked the case open.
But I no longer have a camera in this category. My cell phone has replaced it.

I agree with Derrel, you're probably not going to find a compact- or point-and-shoot camera that'll use your batteries, sorry.

You may want to either look through your images and their metadata, or just think about how much zoom you actually need. Unfortunately, for compact cameras, extended zoom usually comes with sacrifice to sensor size, more zoom means smaller, and usually less capable sensors. If you can get away with much less zoom or even no zoom then you can easily get 1" or even APS-C sensor sizes (ie, matching DSLRs or mirrorless interchangable lens cameras) in compact bodies. I know for certain that both Sony and Canon have excellent cameras with 1" sensors (Sony RX100 series, Canon Powershot G - X series), and in Canon's case their G9X Mark II looks to be of similar size to your L620, and thus easily pocketable.

My dad went with a Canon Powershot SX710HS that was new-old-stock, my wife went with a good used Canon EOS M100 mirrorless camera and we put a 22mm "pancake" prime (ie, not-zoom) lens on for it to be jacket-pocketable. the SX710HS uses a smaller sensor than I would have gone with but he likes it, and my wife likes the M100 for its image quality being excellent for its size.

I'm sure other manufacturers have similar quality. You should probably find a store that stocks a lot of cameras (in my area a particular Best Buy has a particularly well-stocked camera department) and just play around with them. See what you like and what you don't care for.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back