Nikon Mount Zoom-Tele Choices

Jon7100

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new to the forum but have been around the photography block a few times. A Nikon D7100 is my latest purchase, I also have a D5100. The 7100 came with an 18-200mm zoom that I really like. My wife wants to add a telephoto zoom with a little more reach and understands that using our tripod with the new lens will be the norm. I have used YouTube to sample the:

Sigma 120-400mm
Sigma 150-500mm
Sigma 50-500mm
Tamron 200-500mm
Nikon 80-400mm (the original, not the newer out-of-my-budget version)

I have tentatively eliminated the 50-500mm as the zoom range adds to the size, weight, and cost, and is not necessary for our purposes. Also falling out of top consideration is the Tamron solely due to a lack of optical stabilization. The original Nikon 80-400mm had a rather poor reputation for image quality and focusing speed. All three of these are still in the mix, just at the bottom of the bowl. I can certainly be influenced by those of you who may have found any of these to be a good choice.

Regarding the Sigmas, there seems to be a point where the exterior finish on these lenses changed from a coarse, non-slip, blemish-magnet texture to a smooth finish typical of Nikon and other OEMs. Is this just my imagination based on poorly resolved Youtube videos?

Image quality and price weigh heaviest on my decision (looking for the sharpest bang for the buck). Support with a tripod or monopod 99% of the time is understood. Our selection will not be used for sports/action photography. Most subjects will be still or nearly still, outdoors, with suitable light. Seeking the most shallow possible depth-of-field will be an occasional goal, so using the lens at or near its widest aperture at all zoom ranged will happen. AF speed is not a key factor. Some video work will be involved.

Your recommendations/experiences are appreciated.

Thanks,

Jon

I had 2 of the Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 AF APO DG OS HSM Telephoto Zoom Lens and was very pleased with their performance for shooting daytime action sports relative to their price.
I had 2 because it was a business and there were 2 photographers.
Once the business got going I upgraded to 2 used Nikon 200-400mm f/4G AF-S SWM SIC ED IF VR II Nikkor Super Telephoto Zoom Lens

The 2 Sigmas I had, had the flocked exterior finish and both remained new looking even with a lot of use.
Here is one of them mounted on a gripped Nikon D90 zoomed out to 500 mm and with the lens hood in place.

BigmaD90.jpg

On a tripod, you may want to consider using a gimbal tripod head:
Opteka GH1 Pro Heavy Duty Metal Gimbal Head (Supports up to 30lbs)
Flashpoint Gimbal Head 1n with Quick Release. New, Improved model. Supports 14.4 lbs.
Jobu Jr 3 Deluxe Gimbal Head with Integrated Quick Release

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks for your input Keith. I have been leaning toward this lens. The price difference between the 150-500 and the 120-400 is minimal. Going with the extra 100mm seems to be the smart option. Glad to hear the that the flocked finish has held up well. I know its borderline ridiculous, but I like to keep my gear looking as "newish" as possible. Only a remarkable difference in performance would sway me to the 120-400.

Jon

Most reactions

New Topics

Back