Nikon or Canon.. ( not a VS topic )

BmDubb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My fiance is wanting to get into photography with me... She has been shooting with my D80 for a little while. Anyways we're going to get her a camera within the next week or 2. A friend of mine is a photographer, with LOADS of equipment. He has agreed to trade one of his cameras for some tattoo work. I am giving him a full sleeve tattoo ( Value of about 1800$ ). He has 3 cameras which he said I could choose from...

A nikon d60.... Nikon D80... and Canon 50D

Now, I know the perks of her having a nikon ( we would be able to use eachothers lenses etc )... But I was thinking about getting her the Canon just so I could try it out and see how I like it...

Are there any points that make some DSLR Nikons and DSLR Canons better than the other? Lets say the D80 and the 50D... Is there alot of difference in picture quality?

Please dont let this turn into an argument, I know the whole " Canon vs nikon" debate thing can get heated between the loyal users lol.... This is just me asking a serious question so I can figure out what to do..

Thanks guys, I appreciate your help..

Matt

How serious are you with this girl friend? I have seen relationships and lives ruined over the debate of whose brand is better……:lol:

In all truth the D80 would be a good choice, just because you can trade accessories. When one of you gets something new you can both use it. They will both work just fine and at least you will not have to carry 2 battery chargers, 2 of each lens and any specific accessories you need.

lol, its pretty serious.. We have been together 5 years and we have a 3 year old son.. We own a home and etc. lol She just seems to think she wants a canon.. so I was just looking for pros / cons of each.. :D

Please dont let this turn into an argument, I know the whole " Canon vs nikon" debate thing can get heated between the loyal users lol...

Sure

Unfortunately, Canon users get upset when they read about the benefits of owning a Nikon so I'll just have to be quiet about it.

I don't think you can go wrong with either one. Personally, I'm more of a Nikon person but Canons have a better choice of cheaper (and good) lenses. I am not 100% sure but I think this Nikon has a 5 frame bracketing mode and Canon can only get 3. This would be a huge bonus to me. Another reason to get a Nikon is that it feels more like a camera in your hands. Canon feels a bit like a big plastic box. Go to a camera store and pick them up and hold them in your hands and you'll see what I'm talking about.

How serious are you with this girl friend? I have seen relationships and lives ruined over the debate of whose brand is better
Those relationships weren't all that serious if they could be ruined by a camera brand disagreement then, were they? ;)

THE image quality on both is good. WHAT will matter is how it feels in youf hand. Play with it and see what is more you 50d or d80.

good luck

How serious are you with this girl friend? I have seen relationships and lives ruined over the debate of whose brand is better
Those relationships weren't all that serious if they could be ruined by a camera brand disagreement then, were they? ;)

I wouldn't want my daughter to marry a Canon user!

These are all vastly different cameras. The D60 is an entry level camera with minimal fringe features, the D80 is a "prosumer" camera and the 50D is a high-end semi-pro camera.

But besides that, we've all missed a big point here: Matt, you're getting ripped off. For $1,800, you're friend is getting a steal-of-a-deal even if he gives you the 50D, which is only valued at $1000. Add a couple of good lenses and you have a fair trade.

If you go for the D60 or D80 (both around $600 by now), you should get a very nice collection of lenses and accessories for the $1,800 total.

Last edited:
I am giving him a full sleeve tattoo ( Value of about 1800$ ). He has 3 cameras which he said I could choose from...

A nikon d60.... Nikon D80... and Canon 50D

I'd hold off on this deal. Looks like you're getting the short end.

A new 50D costs around a grand brand new and can be found for less. Especially used. The 50D is better than the two Nikons listed.

You might ask for the D80 and the 50D if you're giving him nearly 2 grand worth of ink. Or ask for some (good) lenses to go with the 50D.

:edit:

/Looks up one post/ Guess I was late to the party...

something else to think about.

the menu work in different ways, the wording is different and the manual meter system works in different directions; so for me, handling can become a burden.

just my 2cents

if the tat work is really worth $1800, don't do it unless there's some serious glass involved. None of those bodies is even worth $1k.

You would be crazy not to take the 50D, it's the best camera - and most expensive - of the 3, not to mention the most current in technology.

if the tat work is really worth $1800, don't do it unless there's some serious glass involved. None of those bodies is even worth $1k.
The 50D with a kit lens is worth well over $1k. New, on Adorama's site, it's $1799 with an 18-200mm kit lens.

ICA50DK3 Canon EOS 50D Digital SLR Camera Body Kit 15.1 Megapixels with USB Interface & 3" LCD, Black. with Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Auto Focus Lens

Or it's $2000 with the 28-235mm kit lens.

ICA50DK4 Canon EOS 50D Digital SLR Camera Body Kit, 15.1 Megapixels, Black with EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Standard Zoom Lens, and EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Auto Focus Lens

You would be crazy not to take the 50D, it's the best camera - and most expensive - of the 3, not to mention the most current in technology.

Not to mention it's worth about half of the value of the ink he's about to trade. :thumbdown:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back