Nikon Rudderless?

What doesn't struggle in Canada?

"Long ago (now 18 years) I started writing that Nikon was losing their connection to the actual customer of their camera products."

So he's been bitching about Nikon for 18 years now and here he is, still using them. Hmmm? Can't be doing too bad.

I think it's called competition.

I recall Hogan complaining at one time Nikon didn't have enough models. Now they have enough models but still.
When mirrorless first came out I compared it (I dont' recall which models) to getting a d7000. I chose the d7000 for many reasons. But with the newer Olympus mirrorless cameras it makes you wonder what Nikon could have done. But Olympus is putting all their money in one line. Whereas Nikon is always trying to "fit" a model someone in the lineup instead of, as Hogan mentions, have them compete against themselves. I think that's the main thing is Nikon is trying to fit things in the lineup instead of creating a new lineup with it's own strengths and weaknesses.

But then Hogan states the d5, d500, d700 are great cameras. and d750, d810 are near great.

wish I had the money to buy any and all cameras at any time. Then I might be in the same position to say Nikon is blowing it.

Makes me glad Samsung makes cameras. Oh wait, at least quality cellphones .. oh wait, those are exploding.
Anyways, we'll all ditch out DSLR and Mirrorless when the iPhone 8s come out anyways.

I really like the specs of the Olympus OM-D E-Mii. But it's new price is way beyond my means.

"Long ago (now 18 years) I started writing that Nikon was losing their connection to the actual customer of their camera products."

So he's been bitching about Nikon for 18 years now and here he is, still using them. Hmmm? Can't be doing too bad.

Right? I thought I was bad for saying Nikon was shutting down, lol.

What doesn't struggle in Canada?

Deep...

Look at Target, they built ton of stores and shut them all down in a couple years, lost all that money.
walmart
kmart
et all

competition draws a bunch of new development and competing stores. Sooner or later the stores can't maintain enough sales to maintain break-even or profitability. Thus they have to shut them down.

Just look at the history of K-Mart over the years. Missteps in every phase of development of the organization. The mid-90s just crippled them and they haven't ever recovered.

I think it's called competition.

I recall Hogan complaining at one time Nikon didn't have enough models. Now they have enough models but still.
When mirrorless first came out I compared it (I dont' recall which models) to getting a d7000. I chose the d7000 for many reasons. But with the newer Olympus mirrorless cameras it makes you wonder what Nikon could have done. But Olympus is putting all their money in one line. Whereas Nikon is always trying to "fit" a model someone in the lineup instead of, as Hogan mentions, have them compete against themselves. I think that's the main thing is Nikon is trying to fit things in the lineup instead of creating a new lineup with it's own strengths and weaknesses.

But then Hogan states the d5, d500, d700 are great cameras. and d750, d810 are near great.

wish I had the money to buy any and all cameras at any time. Then I might be in the same position to say Nikon is blowing it.

Makes me glad Samsung makes cameras. Oh wait, at least quality cellphones .. oh wait, those are exploding.
Anyways, we'll all ditch out DSLR and Mirrorless when the iPhone 8s come out anyways.

I really like the specs of the Olympus OM-D E-Mii. But it's new price is way beyond my means.

That's just the Note 7, not all Samsung phones. Not fair.

Yes, just the Note 7. Their Premier, newly released, newest model phone.
If it was a low end model it wouldn't have gotten as much press. But since it's their newest top of the line phone, well, it gets the most exposure.

Apple went through antenna-gate with their newest phone a few years back.
Samsung is large enough to handle it.

btw, you seemed to forgot about Samsung and their camera business ==> After conquering cameras with the NX1, now Samsung may quit them forever
Olympus and Fuji will have to do what Samsung decided not to.

Last edited:
Yes, just the Note 7. Their Premier, newly released phone.
If it was a low end model it wouldn't have gotten as much press. But since it's their newest top of the line phone, well, it gets the most exposure.

Yesterday I read an article which I'm pretty sure it was written by a die hard apple fanboy and they were talking about how Samsung will be shutting down next year because of the faulty battery. I'm like oh my goodness people. Just another silly rumour blog...

Samsung doesn't just make phones, they are quite a large electronic corporation and it would take A LOT for them to shut down.

Unfortunately....these things happen from time to time. Anything with a battery could potentially catch fire or explode, camera batteries have done so in the past and iPhones have too. I've seen some laptop batteries become pretty scary lol.

Yesterday I read an article which I'm pretty sure it was written by a die hard apple fanboy and they were talking about how Samsung will be shutting down next year because of the faulty battery. I'm like oh my goodness people. Just another silly rumour blog...

Samsung doesn't just make phones, they are quite a large electronic corporation and it would take A LOT for them to shut down.

Unfortunately....these things happen from time to time. Anything with a battery could potentially catch fire or explode, camera batteries have done so in the past and iPhones have too. I've seen some laptop batteries become pretty scary lol.
Yeah, start a rumor that Samsung is shutting down. Even their profitable shipbuilding business !!

But Samsung wasn't first to have battery issues, and I'll guess won't be the last.

For a higher profile problem just look at Lithium batteries that have been known to catch fire and explode in relation to shipping, warehousing (Package Explodes Inside Fed Ex Building), and unfortunately aircraft (Aircraft Fires Tied to Lithium-Battery Cargo Prompt New UN Rule). There's many instances of airlines banning them and learning about the issues. But not just being shipped but also being used (aka Boeing 787 issues).

Yeah, start a rumor that Samsung is shutting down. Even their profitable shipbuilding business !!

But Samsung wasn't first to have battery issues, and I'll guess won't be the last.

For a higher profile problem just look at Lithium batteries that have been known to catch fire and explode in relation to shipping, warehousing (Package Explodes Inside Fed Ex Building), and unfortunately aircraft (Aircraft Fires Tied to Lithium-Battery Cargo Prompt New UN Rule). There's many instances of airlines banning them and learning about the issues. But not just being shipped but also being used (aka Boeing 787 issues).

Yeah, every time I order something online that contains a lithium battery..it's easily visible on the box to say the least lol.

Hard to fault Hogan's argument:

Nikon Swimming Wrong Direction | DSLRBodies | Thom Hogan

They're apparently struggling in Canada: firing reps, parts and inventory shortages, pissed-off dealers.

So the entire argument is, they didn't build their latest camera release with me in mind, therefore the entire company is going the wrong direction?

Rotflmao. Right. Ok, well not a thing worth seeing here. moving right along.

Most reactions

Back