Nikon SB900

Rosy

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
If this is a repeat, I apologize

I have a D700 and a SB900

Can i use the SB900 off camera in manual mode WITHOUT the use of a remote trigger?

how are your settings?

Rosy said:
If this is a repeat, I apologize

I have a D700 and a SB900

Can i use the SB900 off camera in manual mode WITHOUT the use of a remote trigger?

how are your settings?

Yes... Set pop up to commander and set the flash to remote.

Last edited:
in remote, would the sb900 be in manual?

Rosy said:
in remote, would the sb900 be in manual?

You can set it up to how you want. Those settings will be based on your shooting needs but can be accessed in the camera. Check your manual out. It should have something about CLS.

yes -i've read (both manuals and called Nikon)

do you use OCF - do you shoot manual both camera and flash

can you tell me how you have it set up

Rosy said:
yes -i've read (both manuals and called Nikon)

do you use OCF - do you shoot manual both camera and flash

can you tell me how you have it set up

Not to sound harsh but I wouldn't be able to... It changes based on what I need. I shoot on and off camera and sometimes both if where I am is a black hole.

ok - thank you. i shall keep reading today

once last question, do you use remote triggers?

Rosy said:
ok - thank you. i shall keep reading today

once last question, do you use remote triggers?

Yes

Your D700 has Nikon's Creative Lighting System which includes an infrared (IR) optical triggering system that allows you to use your SB-900 for OCF.

Radio triggers use a radio signal rather than an optical signal. Radio signals can go places an optical signal can't, and a radio signal has much greater range. Direct sunlight can also degrqade the performance of an optical flash triggering system, because sunlight has a lot of IR in it.
However, Nikon's system can do iTTL flash while inexpensive radio triggers cannot, and you would have to use your expensive SB-900 in manual mode and ignore all the bells and whistles you paid for.
Radio triggers that can do iTTL are more expensive.

You might want to get some additional reference information, like The Nikon Creative Lighting System: Using the SB-600, SB-700, SB-800, SB-900, SB-910, and R1C1 Flashes

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back