Nikon tc 1.4E or tc 1.4 ii alternative

jaomul

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm hoping to get a 1.4 Tele to work with a 300mm lens, but the mark 3 version is not compatible.

I'm finding it hard to locate a mark 2 or E version.

Is there any third party option that's as good as the Nikon?

I'm hoping to get a 1.4 Tele to work with a 300mm lens, but the mark 3 version is not compatible.

I'm finding it hard to locate a mark 2 or E version.

Is there any third party option that's as good as the Nikon?

Odds are good if your 300 mm lens is a 70-300mm 4.5 to 5.6 your going to run into serious issues and probably not be at all satisfied with the results. Even the 1.4 x causes you to lose an Fstop of light, and if your zoomed out all the to 300 mm by losing that one Fstop that puts you at F8 from the get go.

Some camera models won't be able to autofocus, and even on better camera models like the 7100 that can technically achieve autofocus at F8 it's an iffy proposition, it's generally fairly slow, hunts a lot and a lot of times can't lock in at all unless you are in very good, very bright sunlight conditions.

Really to use a TC you need faster glass, something in the F/4 or F2.8 realm, or you'll have to learn to live with manual focus.

It's a Nikon 300 mm f4 which supposedly works very well with the earlier 1.4 Tele, but not with the newer model

I really like my Canon 300 f4 with Canon 1.4 tc2.

I purchased both of them used since it seems pointless to use the version 3. I have no experience with the Nikon equivalent but generally always recommend going with OEM, even if it means buying pre-owned.

Thanks for the link. The problem is if I bought there I'd pay massive shipping and then 21% vat on top. (I'm in Ireland)

Here I can get a good second hand, but it's almost same price as the version 3 new, because, I suspect, there's still a bit of a demand as the newer one isn't backward compatable with a few older lenses

Thanks for the link. The problem is if I bought there I'd pay massive shipping and then 21% vat on top. (I'm in Ireland)

Here I can get a good second hand, but it's almost same price as the version 3 new, because, I suspect, there's still a bit of a demand as the newer one isn't backward compatable with a few older lenses

Sounds like it. I do use both the sigma 1.4 and 2x TC's myself, but I use them on a Sigma 70-200 mm 2.8. They work great with mine, IQ drop really isn't all that noticeable especially on the 1.4 - but I've never tried them on a Nikkor lens to be honest.

Ordered a Kenko 1.4 tc 300 pro as it seems to be my only option new, and second hand ones are like hens teeth where I live.

Just wondering if anyone used this with a 300 f4 prime. Either way now I'm committed to the purchase

Most reactions

Back