Nikon VR lenses

Photobrian

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey is a nikon Vr lens really necessary on a 18-55mm? or a standard 18-55 is just fine ??????

The longer the focal length, the more you need VR. On an 18-55 it is a nice option as it will let you shoot at some pretty slow shutter speeds but it isn't absolutely necessary.

Most of the time VR should be turned off, if a lens has VR.

As it is, if shutter speed is faster than 1/500 VR can't react fast enough do anything effective, regardless the lens focal length.

The AF-S 18-55 mm f/3.5-4.6G that has VR also has somewhat better optics than the older non-VR version.

Nikon VR explained

Last edited:
^This. It depends on what your situation is and what you are shooting.

The $180 Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 VR lens is a winner. It works perfectly. There isn't much it can't do well. For under $200, this could be the only lens you'd ever need. In some very subtle ways its optics can outperform the more expensive 16-85mm VR and 18-200mm VR lenses.

I just started taking photos, but I think it depends on the situation.

I personally don't like sharp photos or technology that helps improve my IQ, so I don't use it.

to say it doesn't matter for shorter focal lengths is almost as facticous as my sentence above.

Like all the tools we use, VR has a time and place. Longer/heavier lenses, max zoom lens settings or unsteady hands may be helped a lot whereas shorter lenses and steady hands don't need it at all.
I would always get the lens with VR because my hands are never steady but not everyone has that situation.

Good camera holding technique counts for a lot when it comes to eliminating camera shake.

If you need a shutter speed so slow VR is a must have, you probably need to add supplemental light to the scene to make a good photo.
With the added light the shutter speed can be increased so you don't need the VR.
But if you choose to forgo the added light and use VR you get a photo with poor light quality that is reasonably sharp.

Good camera holding technique counts for a lot when it comes to eliminating camera shake.

If you need a shutter speed so slow VR is a must have, you probably need to add supplemental light to the scene to make a good photo.
With the added light the shutter speed can be increased so you don't need the VR.
But if you choose to forgo the added light and use VR you get a photo with poor light quality that is reasonably sharp.

Spoken like a true studio photographer.
Sometimes supplemental light isn't available, can't be used or would spoil the scene.
VR is useful when one needs it.

Well it's not to hard to carry a speedlight, or 2, if you're wanting to make high quality photos and the type of shot warrants using supplemental light.

I did about 3/4 of my portrait work outside, on location.

Well it's not to hard to carry a speedlight, or 2, if you're wanting to make high quality photos and the type of shot warrants using supplemental light.
No doubt that's why the people with point&shoot cameras at sporting events leave their flash turned on!

Next time I forgot to change my ISO while shooting in A mode, after going into a dark cave and suddenly: gorilla. At the spur of the moment, I'll make sure to take off VR and setup some speedlights shooting through thick plexiglass.

Gorilla at Santa Barbara Zoo
by The Braineack, on Flickr

This was 1/30sec, 100mm, f/4.

The $180 Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 VR lens is a winner. It works perfectly. There isn't much it can't do well. For under $200, this could be the only lens you'd ever need. In some very subtle ways its optics can outperform the more expensive 16-85mm VR and 18-200mm VR lenses.

Should I sell my 16-35 f/4 VR, 24-70 f/2.8, and 70-200 f/2.8 VR II and buy an 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 VR instead?

VR is for slower shutter speeds hand held. It is useless at higher speeds and when used with a tripod and can actually introduce blur of its' own. It also steadies things for video and that is one place you really need it. Some people leave it on all the time while others are rather anal about using it at all. All I can say is that it has been useful when I had to use a lower shutter speed hand held. I have had successful shot using it at 1/4 to 1/2 sec. I could have never done that without VR.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back