Nikura filters?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by o hey tyler, Dec 21, 2009.

1. o hey tyler

o hey tyler Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    So when my lens was ordered (a christmas present from my grandfather), from Abes of Maine (which being a Mainer kind of agitates me that they're obviously based in New York) sold him a set of 3 Nikura filters. I've never had experience with them, but all together the pack of three costs 149.99. They gave him a deal for 49.99 since he was ordering a lens. So, my question is, has anyone used Nikura filters? I got a UV, CPL, and Fluorescent light correction filter.

Don't worry, my hopes aren't too high.

2. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I'd never heard the brand name before.

So, I did some online searching and most references I found lead back to Abes of Maine.

I saw posts on other forums where Abe's sales people had pushed the filter set. Figure it's a high profit item for Abes and that their salespeople get a spiff for moving them.

3. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit

KmH's comments are accurate. Off-brand or store-brand filters are one of *the* highest-markup items in a camera shop. I love that "normally $149.95, but we'll let you have the set for $49.95." Filters can be bought in large quantities for as little as $2.00 each, then priced at $19.95 each, and played against name-brand filters at $29.95 or $39.95 each. Even at $49.95, the Abe's of Maine salesman probably earned a $7 spiff off of the $49.95 sale. If he had managed to nail your grandfather for $149 the spiff would probably have been $25-$30, and at $100 or so, probably a $15 spiff. That is the way retail camera filter sales has operated for decades. The development of the Chinese optical business has made this issue even bigger a problem than when the optics industry was mostly in Japan.