No studio :( My daughter :D

Discussion in 'The Professional Gallery' started by LaFoto, Dec 29, 2005.

1. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    As not to hijack JonK's thread on the photo taken of his daughter using a real studio light (softbox) and a reflector, I shall start a new thread on photos that I took of my daughter, making use of a large, rectangle (totally out-of-date, more 70s-style lamp = tungsten light) and no reflector (duh! :meh: ). Well, actually, these are only snapshots, for she was sitting there, in my parents-in-law's home, on Christmas day, and I wielded around (erm... not really that badly) my "new toy" (i.e. my new Canon EOS 350D, yuppieh :D) and said: hang on, stay there, let me try this.

What I don't know (and somehow can no longer find out) is whether I set the white balance to "tungsten". There are other photos where I did and they STILL came out horribly yellow (this does not happen to the same extent with the Powershot!). Anyhow, here is the "reply-pic" to JonK's photo. Mark: in here you can see all you can do wrong... :roll:

[​IMG]

After a little bit of PS work in an attempt to get rid of the yellow, but I don't really know what I am doing in Photoshop, so the result is ... erm...

[​IMG]

2. JonK

JonK I want MORE!!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I dragged this into PS and hit: image>>>adjust>>>auto colour and the result was pretty good. Prob would be better with the hi-res file.
    Other option; shoot RAW and adjust balance after the fact before opening in PS.
    You don't mention what WB yer camera was set too. I have noticed on my 350D that the balance is way more yellow when shooting indoors than I get with my 20D (camera set on auto WB)

3. LaFoto

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You mean something like this? (I looked for "Auto Colours", but there is none to be had in my version, only Auto Levels, which I chose for this):

[​IMG]

I find it gets too hot spots in this one...
    And shooting RAW is something I still have to learn. (Would require reading the manual to my 350D, blah!)

4. elsaspet

elsaspet TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The second is much better, colorwise LaFoto. She's a beautiful girl!
    The hot spots can be helped a bit in levels. Just move the middle grey slider around.:D

5. JohnMF

JohnMF TPF Noob!

auto levels usually sorts it

6. emayd

emayd No longer a newbie, moving up!

Hi LaFoto, this is my variant of your picture, Sorry that I did it without permition. If you don't like it I'll remove it from my server.

[​IMG]

7. LaFoto

Photos NOT OK to edit
    No worries. I don't mind. Usually my photos are not automatically OTE, but with this one I was coming with a question on how to remove the yellow cast, so it is ok this time.
    And I like what you did. You make what became hot spots after I let the "Auto Levels" in Photoshop do their work appear soft and shining mildly and now I wonder how you did it?

(What I have learned is that for portrait photography you need white light and in most cases also a reflector - and I think this would have been such a case. What more I am learning - over and again - is that I still have to learn sooooo much!)

8. emayd

emayd No longer a newbie, moving up!

White light is OK, but not all times. If you plan to create a b/w and ou make a picture from people without perfect skin, you should select some a light with red shift. It helps to mask skin defects. Yes, you can do it after in PS. But better both. This result i got after pass this image through 3 programs. togetrher about 20 steps. Try to find book from Dan Margulis - "Professional Photoshop" - color correction, retouching, an image manipulation. ISBN-0471018732

The greatest knolage that I got from this book - this is a possibility to use some side effect of some operation to color correction.

Best regards,
    Emayd

9. LaFoto

Photos NOT OK to edit
    THANK YOU, Eduard! :D I will check out this book!!!