Noise in shadows

TheStupidForeigner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've recently started trying some low key photography but have noticed I get a huge amount of noise in the shadows. Is this normal and is there anything I can do about it?

Here is a cropped photo without any editing so you can see what I mean.
Canon T3: ISO100, 40mm, f/22, 1/200sec.

IMG_3977_LR.jpg

noise in shadows is normal, use the lowest ISO you can and noise reduce in PP.

Remember that noise is accentuated in shadows and it seems you are actually increasing exposure in PPing the shadows.
Try using normally exposed images (with low contrast range) and reduce exposure in post-processing.
(This is conceptually identical to 'exposing to the right'.)

Remember that noise is accentuated in shadows and it seems you are actually increasing exposure in PPing the shadows.
Try using normally exposed images (with low contrast range) and reduce exposure in post-processing.

Very nice idea, I will definitely try that next time. Thanks.

Bit of a side question, is ISO100 any lower for noise than ISO200? I sometimes hear 200 is the best ISO to use, but I also often here lower the better...

There is a difference between low key and underexposed, this is underexposed so you will get lots of noise

Bit of a side question, is ISO100 any lower for noise than ISO200? I sometimes hear 200 is the best ISO to use, but I also often here lower the better...

Camera sensor dependent.
What is the 'native' iso for your camera?
Everything else is electronic manipulation.

Very nice idea, I will definitely try that next time. Thanks.

The base ISO of your T3 is 100. Lowest noise and best performance then = ISO 100.

Lew and Gary are right. You need more exposure so you're not trying to lift the shadows.

Joe

Most reactions

Back