noob here -- be kind -- SLR or DSLR

V12

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Okay well where do i start...

I've always been into photography but i never really took it serious, i've got a consumer line 3.2mp sony digitial cam that i take all my pics with however now that i am trying to venture into more complex photography i feel the need for new, or proper equipment, it seems that the sony camera i have is good enough for basic shots, and ebay.

Well i have done some research and some cameras that caught my eye were the nikon n55, n75, and n80 for a SLR. As for digitial the d70 is tempting. Now i do not have much expiernce with these cameras besides trying them out at b&h, they are definatly different then what my sony offers me. I would want a camera that i can learn from, however i do not want to sacrafice quality.

My other issue is getting pictures on my computer with film, will a epson perfection 1670 with the neg film slot do?

Any and all info is apprechiated

thanks,

V12

Are you sure you are fully prepared for the avalanche of replies you might have called down on yourself? ;-)

Since you're in NYC, I'd go to BH and rent some of them for the day or a few hours and see which ones you like better. You may even just want to rent one of each for an hour or so. I, like a lot of members of the forum, use digital and film so it's all about what you would like to use.

With film, there is no problem getting the picture to the computer with a decent scanner. We use the Epson 2580 photo scanner and it works great.

Dont get a DSLR if your just into it, I only just got a DSLR a little while ago, and I love it, but only since I really got into photography have I needed it! :)

Get a Cannon 300V!

While the DSLR is quite a large price difference one should consider that it may help you learn faster as well.

I just recently am getting back into photography. I got the Nikon D70 and love it. The thing that I appreciate the most is that I can change the settings all I want and take crap photos without careing about print/film costs. I love taking a whole bunch of exposures of the same scene all with different parameters. When I get home I can see what was different about each exposure and what changes caused what effects to the image.

I personally learn by doing and having the immediate response from the DSLR has really helped my control over exposures and knowledge of creating "artsy" shots rather than just travel pictures.

The argument against is that I could have had a lot of prints made with the money I would have saved by purchasing a film camera, but there is still the wait and the camera settings aren't printed on each frame either.

The one thing I would not do is put myself in financial difficulties just to make the stretch to the DSLR. No hobby is worth that much stress.

I'm with SLOShooter. If you can afford a DSLR, the D70 is a great camera. The instant & free feedback will help you learn much easier than having to wait for film to be developed.

Film is great and has lots of advantages but digital is just so.......digital. :D

doxx said:
the price difference lets buy you a ton of film including processing... By the time you have shot all that film, the digital will be outdated
Blah blah blah :D :wink: :roll:

You decide for yourself. Everybody has a different opinion.

Digital:
convenient
instant feedback
you learn faster
you print at home
less money per print
you have photoshop to play with
it's easier to test lenses with it
you don't get dust on the negatives

Film:
you can get high on chemicals
potentially higer resolution than under 2K digital bodies
you don't get dust on the sensor
you get to make your own prints in black and white
film is "real" photography :roll:

Whatever your choice is right now, remember that you're getting a camera system... not a camera. because you biggest investment are the lenses, you'll end up with a digital body AND a film body... and will change them while the lenses will remain. :)

IMO Canon is on top right now in terms of digital. Nikon is good too...

well you have narrowed the field down nicely to the N80, and the D70. both fine amateur units. i own both, but if i were to choose one, or were making my first purchase NOW, i would take the D70. you can walk out of the house with the D70, and take between 400 and a thousand shots WITHOUT RELOADING, OR CHANGING BATTERIES. From a perspective rooted in experience with FILM, that capability of fitting a thousand images into a dollar sized card is a monumental leap into the future. in regard to image quality: consumer grade 35mm print film has now been surpassed by the cheaper DSLRs. maybe with slide film, and some fancy processing you can do better, but with print film from the grocery store the 35mm format has been obsoleted, at least as pertains to image quality.

also if i may throw another point into the mix: a cheep 150 dollar printer will make better prints, at home, then the 50,000 dollar equipment that the minimum wage teenagers use at the local photo store down the street.

Taking photos with a 35mm SLR and developing yourself, scanning them in, and then using software will be more effort and time, yes, but much much MUCH cheaper. But, if you truly want to spend the money on a digital SLR, please, be my guest. Either type you choose will allow you to learn plenty, but learnign to develop your own film is also interesting.

Keep in mind that the 35mm route is much less expensive, mind you.

Replic said:
learnign to develop your own film is also interesting.

Depends on the person. I've been using digital for a few years now and the last time I developed film was in the 8th grade; no thanks. It reminds me of how old assembly language programmers used to view programming in assembly language; that there was some kind of magical aspect you got that you didn't in programming in languages like C. Assembly language died out for good reason.

Replic said:
Keep in mind that the 35mm route is much less expensive, mind you.

Film is not cheap. And it forces you to be more "careful" about the shots you take; how much is a priceless shot worth to you if you if you miss it because you're almost out of film? I shot over 400 photos of fast action at the tournament Sat.

Then there's the whole time-to-market issue. If you're into shooting sports and you're at an event and you get a really great shot you can wifi it and send it to a publisher. There's no way someone with film could compete with that.

it seems that you guys favor digital. The majority of the facts that you guys meantioned are what i originally said in the photography section of a mac forum, and i was reconmmend to get a film camera because i am only a amatuer. They were calling the rebel a point and click photograpy machine and that the art is lost in it.

I'll consider the D70, money really isn't a problem, however i really wouldn't want to ask my parents for something so expensive...again(i recently got a new powerbook for school from them). Possibly after xmas i'll have around 1000 or so and i can hunt one down (i think b&h sells used cameras)

thanks for all the replys and keep them coming

Since you're just a noob, I wouldn't recommend putting forth a large amount of money until you know what you want. Film cameras are usually cheaper with comparative features. With digital you will probably take better pictures sooner, but that doesn't necassarily mean you're becoming a better photographer. It doesn't take much skill to push little buttons until the exposure looks right in the LCD. I recently went from a digi prosumer camera to a nikon film SLR. Only then did I realize how poor I was at photography. So for my 2 cents: get a film SLR (the N80 is a nice cam!) for 1/3 the cost of a D70 setup. Make sure you enjoy photography. Then if and when you decide to go digital, you'll have the basics to use a digital SLR to its full potential. Some lenses and equipment can even transfer. Good luck in your decision and happy shooting!

Most reactions

Back