Normal Point and Shoot with SLR (Canon Digital Rebel)

ccdan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.ccwheel.com
I really hate using the camera's built in flash (usually only goes off in medium/low light conditions); to me it really ruins the photos. I know how to use the "M" manual and "AV" setting on the camera really well to take product photo in our studio with or w/out the alien bee's however when I need to grab the camera to take quick photo the photos look horrible. SOO BLURRY! If i turn the camera on any normal point and shoot mode that uses flash they come out fine but look like crap due to the flash. If I use the "No Flash" point and shoot mode I also have a lot of blurry results.

Anyone know what settings on manual modes I can use to get better results?

As far as what I understand the camera needs to open the shutter for a longer period of time to allow more light to pass when not using flash. Thus giving you the "As you see it in person" photo. When it does this the slightest movements will cause the photo to be blurry. What I don't understand is when I adjust the "AV" aperture negative or positive it will give me darker or brighter photos. Not sure why but figure maybe I can use a faster shutter speed with more "AV" to get the results I want. I dunno I'm all confused.

Have you used "p"? It's the same as auto but you don't get the flash unless you pop it up.

It WILL be blurry, unless you have a wide enough aperture for the light provided. If you have good lighting your shutter speed can stay low.

Lower the shutter speed, the lower the blur.

Have you used "p"? It's the same as auto but you don't get the flash unless you pop it up.

It WILL be blurry, unless you have a wide enough aperture for the light provided. If you have good lighting your shutter speed can stay low.

Lower the shutter speed, the lower the blur.

You mean if you have enough lighting, your shutterspeed can stay high

and the higher the shutter speed, generally, there's less blur.

There's nothing wrong with using flash, it's that you are unsatisfied with the direction. If you're unhappy with it, buy a speedlight, and bounce your flash, or use it off camera. That way, you're shutter speeds can be at your flash sync and if you bounce it, good chances are, the whole room will be lit up to where it doesn't even look like you used flash.

Both Sideburns and Sw1tchFX are talking about faster shutter speeds (higher speeds equal lower numbers ie: 1/100 is a faster speed and a lower number than 1/50). Just in case anyone was confused.

Ken Rockwell has has a good example of direct vs bounced flash here, about halfway down the page.

As far as what I understand the camera needs to open the shutter for a longer period of time to allow more light to pass when not using flash. Thus giving you the "As you see it in person" photo. When it does this the slightest movements will cause the photo to be blurry. What I don't understand is when I adjust the "AV" aperture negative or positive it will give me darker or brighter photos. Not sure why but figure maybe I can use a faster shutter speed with more "AV" to get the results I want. I dunno I'm all confused.
You have the right idea, but you are a bit confused. Av is just a priority mode. You pick the aperture and the camera sets the shutter speed that will give you enough light for an exposure in the light you are in. You can change the aperture to whatever you want...the photos should be any darker or lighter...because the camera will adjust the shutter speed accordingly.

To avoid blur, you need a fast enough shutter speed. So if you are in Av, then choose a large aperture (low number). However, once you reach your largest aperture, you the camera won't adjust to a faster shutter speed because it will underexposure the photo. You next option is to increase the ISO, which will give you a faster shutter speed but also more noise.

It's all dependent on the light. If there is not enough light, you will need a long shutter speed. You can avoid camera shake blur by using a tripod but moving subjects will blur with a long shutter speed.

There is one more option...and that would be to buy a lens with a larger maximum aperture. Something like F1.8 or F1.4. This will help to get faster shutter speeds, but there is still a limit.

... a lens with a larger maximum aperture. Something like F1.8 or F1.4. This will help to get faster shutter speeds, but there is still a limit.

Is this what is referred to as a "fast" lens, since it allows for faster shutter speeds?

Hey guys! Thanks for all the replies; so far the first post has been the most positive. I changed to mode "P" and saw a pretty big difference but still some shots were blurry. I grabbed the manual once again and read threw all the "advanced settings/options". Due to the fact its our companies camera and we use it for biz all the time if we have to get an additional flash or lens its not a big deal I was just hoping for an SLR camera it would take good shots with or without flash.

I was getting something confused and it seems to be due to the manual. The aperture and the exposure compensation seem to switch names when pointing each out in different sections of the manual on the camera's display. When I though I was adjusting aperture I was actually adjusting the compensation. Usally when taking product photos I put the camera in "AV" amperture mode, adjust the ISO to 400-800 (lower better for noise; so it seems). adjust the amperture (F stop) generally 4.5-10, and then adjust the compensation lower (usally -1.5 to 2 due to the aleinbee's). Usally that works best but sometimes I need to re-adjust the ISO higher and then re-adjust the compensation if it's too bright or too dark. The camera automaticly figures the best shutter speed.

These same steps don't work for point and shoot. Takes too long and come out blurry.

Not to get off subject but based on my steps above when taking product photos I would like to use another mode such as "M" manual where I can adjust shutter speed, amerture, and ISO. However, in this mode I really need to adjust the compensation but can't due to the fact in that mode the camera is suppost to figure it out automaticly. Just never works for me. Wish there was a Manual mode that you could adjust EVERYTHING. Anyone know of something I may be missing or another MODE which may suit me better.

You mean if you have enough lighting, your shutterspeed can stay high

and the higher the shutter speed, generally, there's less blur.

There's nothing wrong with using flash, it's that you are unsatisfied with the direction. If you're unhappy with it, buy a speedlight, and bounce your flash, or use it off camera. That way, you're shutter speeds can be at your flash sync and if you bounce it, good chances are, the whole room will be lit up to where it doesn't even look like you used flash.

ya I kinda worded it backwards like the other guy said....I meant smaller numbers....so shorter shutter...aka faster.

sorry for making it so confusing....lol

From your last post...what you want to do is open the aperture all the way and leave the ISO alone at 100 and just let the camera figure out the shutter speed...try that and see what happens.

Most reactions

Back