Not another help me choose a camera thread!

Nikon 18-55 VR II lense is very good for the price. There is nothing wrong with this lense.
Anyway, if you are buying a camera for shooting your child, mostly indoors, you will not need a slow zoom. You may buy 18-55 simply because it is ridiculously cheap. But for your child pics you will need a couple of fast prime lenses. 50 mm 1,8 as well as 35 or 85 depending on your preferences and budget.
D5200 is more than enough for your purposes. I would not be even looking higher than that, it would a waste of money.

Awesome comparisons danny thanks!

I am really not trying to discount the kit lens. I just had much better luck with easier nicer shots with the cannons kit.
I am sure it is a learning curve, and even more so with the nikon over the cannon.

I am sure i need to drop to say a 1.8 or so lens.

This is probably a dumb questions, However I am not sure the VR is working on the kit lens. Im having trouble getting stable shots. Seemed so so so much easier with the cannon.

I have the 5300 now. Maybe ill keep it over the 5200 lol. If I can get these issues figured out.

So if that is all I woudl need. No reason to go with the 5300 over the 5200? I know it may not be worth upgrading to if I had a 5200. But starting off not worth it?

The 5200 vs 5300 you won't notice much as image quality goes but the d5300 should be slightly sharper but overall image quality should be very similar.

The 5300 has a a few extra features.

I am not sure if one is better in low light than the other or not.

The 5300 is a slightly better camera IMO but probably not by much. Google search 5200 vs 5300 and you should get a good idea of what is different between the two.

Sent from my XT1028 using Tapatalk

Nikon 18-55 VR II lense is very good for the price. There is nothing wrong with this lense.
Anyway, if you are buying a camera for shooting your child, mostly indoors, you will not need a slow zoom. You may buy 18-55 simply because it is ridiculously cheap. But for your child pics you will need a couple of fast prime lenses. 50 mm 1,8 as well as 35 or 85 depending on your preferences and budget.
D5200 is more than enough for your purposes. I would not be even looking higher than that, it would a waste of money.

Using a 1.8 lens indoors simply to have 1.8 is not a recipe for success. When shooting at close distances (indoors) at f/1.8 the depth of field is extremely small and will result in only a small portion of your subject being in focus. This gets even worse if your subject is moving.

If indoors with some light raise the ISO to get the necessary shutter speeds to stop action. If that will not work then flash should be used. To get proper depth of field you want to be at 2.8 or higher (preferably 3.5-5.6) when shooting at closer distances indoors.

One thing I noticed reading the reviews; nikon does not have a tuning option for focus. That apears to be a problem. What I'd you need to fine tune the auto focus of a lens? Especially given the large amount of used lenses for nikon that are available.

One thing I noticed reading the reviews; nikon does not have a tuning option for focus. That apears to be a problem. What I'd you need to fine tune the auto focus of a lens? Especially given the large amount of used lenses for nikon that are available.

If you're referring to the "Auto Focus Fine Tune" feature the entry level DSLR's (D3xxx/D5xxx) do not offer this. Nikon started offering this feature on it's mid range models starting with the D7000.

Nikon is famous for crippling it's entry level unit's in an attempt to get consumers to move up.

Offered on the cannons entry level t5i. Shame nikon won't offer it.

Offered on the cannons entry level t5i. Shame nikon won't offer it.

Nikon gives you a sensor that was designed, and first made in THIS DECADE instead of one that was designed in 2008, and has been in every bargain Canon since 2009...that's the tradeoff...2008 era quality vs 2012 with the D5200, or 2014 with the D5300 or D3300...

I see many reviews that show the image quality very very similar. GiI can accept that as a trade off, but if the sensor still older is nearly the same quality, but to gain that quality you lose the tuning ability. Seems like a steep price to pay for minor gains that most won't notice

Get a Nikon world's best camera
I was leaning to the nikon 5200. But now the lack of a tuning, and it's inability to be as compatible with as many lenses as the cannon has me thinking twice.

Get a Nikon world's best camera
I was leaning to the nikon 5200. But now the lack of a tuning, and it's inability to be as compatible with as many lenses as the cannon has me thinking twice.
I was being a twat I would never recommend one make over another, it just winds me up that everyone jumps straight in and say's Nikon I wouldn't have one

Last edited:
but to gain that quality you lose the tuning ability.

You seem to have missed the point; The sensor works just fine without needing any fine tuning. My pictures are sharp.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back