Not sure which camera to upgrade to. Suggestions?

i have a D90 so my vote goes to the D90.

two reasons i went with nikon over canon.
1: went to the store to see how they felt and it took about 5 seconds. the canon felt ridiculous in my hand and the nikon fit my hand very naturually.
2: my dad has had nikon for 30+ years so i have a lot of nice lenses to borrow.

Canon's releasing the T1i soon, which is supposed to be a step up from the XSi if you're getting serious. I personally like Nikon although I looked into Canon, but the feel of the D90 vs the XSi is so much more robust. I now own a D90 and a D60, and the D90 makes my D60 feel like a toy (and I thought the XSi felt like a toy already). You can mash out the specs all day but you may want to get them in your hands before you make the decision.

Second this...I made my decision based on this same idea; both take amazing pictures, but the Nikon felt a lot better in my hands, and the Cannon just felt cheap.

Ok. One more question.

Nikon D90 or Canon 40D?
This touches on that religious war I mentioned earlier.

I've never had a camera feel "ridiculous" in my hand before. :)

I researched Canon vs. Nikon quite carefully before I chose my 40D (originally). I had no dog in the fight or any brand loyalty.

When I sold my 40D and went to a 50D, I once again tested various Nikon's including the D90 and once again went with Canon and the 50D.

I am not a fan of the D90's menus. I find them to be cluttered and not intuitive with unnecessary scrolling.

I found the AF markers in the view finder of the D90 to be too small and hard to see in certain light.

I don't care for in camera image editing. I see no reason to add additional menu items for things like image overlay and other editing when I seriously doubt I'll stop in the middle of a shot and decide to edit my images. I do that on a PC. :)

I don't care for plastic cameras. The D90 is made on a plastic frame whereas the 40D is built on a magnesium frame. The 40D is more of a "prosumer" model whereas the D90 is a "consumer" model, albeit high on the consumer model food chain.

I don't care for the aesthetics of the D90. I don't like the chromed shutter release and I've never been a fan of the big red plastic triangle on the grip of Nikons. To me it looks toyish. I prefer the more business looking 40D. Some think the 40D looks bland all black and without the chrome bling. :)

I personally find the 40D's controls to be more simple and easier to use. Of course I've been using Canon's for a while now and once that happens you get used to things. But even early on as a total novice I found the buttons and levers of the Nikons to be less intuitive. Others prefer the Nikon design.

It's really something you have to decide for yourself. I do know that I personally wouldn't be happy with a plastic bodied camera. Others prefer the smaller consumer size of the D90 and they aren't turned off by the all plastic construction.

Play with a 40D and compare it to the D90.

Even if you go with a D90 rest assured it's a great camera. What it lacks in build quality it more than makes up for in image quality - and that's where the rubber meets the road.

Last edited:
I should also add that given the choice between a 450D and a D90 I would probably take the D90. Put the D90 against the 40D or 50D and I would take the Canon's.

I would not buy a Nikon below a D90 because of Nikons use of older CCD sensors vs. CMOS sensors. Also, most of Nikons lower end models lack an AF motor in the body which limits your lens selection.

You can absolutely meter with an AI-S lens on a D90. All you have to do is add the CPU date into the camera, and you are good to go. Now if the D90 lacks this feature, then you're assed out, but seriously - how many people new to dSLR's are searching for old ass lenses like that. The only AI-S lens I'd want is the 50MM F/1.2, but I'm not about to drop 500 bones on that (its still sexy as hell).

D90 is a great camera. You wont regret it.

Just an update.

I've rang PC World and they have a 40D in stock. They have put it to one side for me for today and tomorrow, so I'm going to go and have a little play around with it. If i like it then I'm going to buy it.

Any good advice on things to buy with the camera? e.g. cleaning kit, case etc general stuff like that.

Just for your information. I am also a person who jump from the XTi/400D to 40D. Of course, image quality is about the same. (Limitation still is the user lol) But the way the camera feel in my hand is just different. Especially with the grip (I am 5 ft 11). I just do not want to use the XTi anymore.

I know that the size of the D90 is some what between the Rebels and the 40D. And you just need to try it and see if you like it.

You can absolutely meter with an AI-S lens on a D90. All you have to do is add the CPU date into the camera, and you are good to go. Now if the D90 lacks this feature, then you're assed out, but seriously - how many people new to dSLR's are searching for old ass lenses like that. The only AI-S lens I'd want is the 50MM F/1.2, but I'm not about to drop 500 bones on that (its still sexy as hell).

D90 is a great camera. You wont regret it.

First of all, I'd love to know how to meter my AI-S "E" lens on my D90.

I'm new to DSLR's and I discoverd "old ass" lenses relatively early on, after I my jaw hit the floor while perusing the prices of AF-S and AF-D lenses. I have a 100mm 2.8 AIS "E" lens that is out of this world--and I got it for $104. There is also the 100 2.5 that is supposed to be even better. And yeah, the D90 is awesome.

IIRC, the D90 is the first DXX series Nikon to use a CMOS sensor and has really good noise handling at high ISO's.

Nikon owners like to brag about that.

Jamie, what are you shooting? That's could be the biggest factor. If you're going to be a sports photog, go Canon hands down. Their high end telephoto lenses are a little cheaper than Nikon and they have a bigger selection. Plus, correct me if I'm wrong, but the Nikon shoots around 3.5fps? The Canon 40D shoots at 6.5fps?

Studio work, product work, portraiture, or anything along those lines? Flip a coin, purchase the cheapest you can, and invest in lighting.

Landscape? Any brand with a full frame and great lenses that don't show much CA or flare.

It really depends on what you're planning on shooting.

I'm not planning on shooting a specific subject/area, it's more for general use. But if i had to pick something that i shoot above most things, it would be nature. I love using natural lighting, getting outdoors. Wether it be a rotten leave or snap of a wild animal (you said the canon would be better for speedy snaps).

Yes the Canon 40D shoots at 6.5fps, which is why it is so appealing to me. Is the anything a Canon can't offer me that a Nikon can?

Yes the Canon 40D shoots at 6.5fps, which is why it is so appealing to me. Is the anything a Canon can't offer me that a Nikon can?
Nope, nothing that I can think of unless the 720p video is important to you.

If anything, Canon offers a better selection of lenses at better prices. Nikon tends to be more expensive as you add more stuff to your gear bag.

Canon lenses are a major reason why I don't plan on jumping ship to Nikon any time soon.

Last edited:
Nope, nothing that I can think of.

If anything, Canon offers a better selection of lenses at better prices. Nikon tends to be more expensive as you add more stuff to your gear bag.

Canon lenses are a major reason why I don't plan on jumping ship to Nikon any time soon.
This has helped set my mind on getting a Canon rather than Nikon.

Thanks everyone fall all the help.

This has helped set my mind on getting a Canon rather than Nikon.

Thanks everyone fall all the help.
Make sure you handle that 40D before making your final decision. You may still decide you prefer the D90. Don't let me or anyone else tell you which camera you should buy.

First of all, I'd love to know how to meter my AI-S "E" lens on my D90.

I'm new to DSLR's and I discoverd "old ass" lenses relatively early on, after I my jaw hit the floor while perusing the prices of AF-S and AF-D lenses. I have a 100mm 2.8 AIS "E" lens that is out of this world--and I got it for $104. There is also the 100 2.5 that is supposed to be even better. And yeah, the D90 is awesome.

Does it have this feature. As I said, I don't know if it does or does not - I assume it does if it was manufactured after the D300. If it doesn't well there you go. No metering. If it does, I'm sure it details how to achieve this in the manual.

As for using the old lenses - a novelty at best. I don't dispute the optical quality of some of these old lenses, but if you're going to go that route - why not just stick with film?

As to the OP, what does the Nikon offer than the Canon doesn't - well neither camera really trumps the other at the end of the day. About the only thing I can think of off the top of my head are the little internal niceties in a D90 versus a 40D, as well as the CLS system which Canon still (strangely) has yet to develop for its line of cameras.

as well as the CLS system which Canon still (strangely) has yet to develop for its line of cameras.
Yeah, the CLS system is cool. The Canon system is not nearly as robust but it does work. Before going to moonlights I had no problem using my 580EX to control my 430EX's for various setups... the down side being you have to have the 580EX to do the remote control vs. having it built into the camera.

My Canon pro bodies lack a built in flash and quite honestly, I don't miss it in the slightest. I rarely hear of Canon owners complaining about the lack of a built in flash on their pro bodies although I don't think you would get many complaints from us Canon users if Canon developed it's own CLS system either. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back