Not The Best Subject

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
MSnowy inspired me to step out of my comfort zone and in front of the camera. Never have liked having my picture taken, plus the added challenge of being both photographer and subject. I've had the AB's for two weeks, but only just had a chance to actually try them last night. In retrospect the choice of location was not the best. I was limited on space, and ended up only using one of the AB's with the octabox, and a YN560/umbrella to skim the wall/background, and provide a little separation. Large white reflector set about two feet away on the right. I was shooting for a 2:1 ratio. It was getting late, and I was getting tired, so I quit on this one. Pretty much out of camera, with only LR camera specific presets applied. Other than my choice of subject, any comments on how to improve for next time.

View attachment 132287

I am impressed. I think you did a great job first time out. I have no advise in this area but I like what you have done here.

Thanks @jcdeboever I definitely need more practice, a different place to set up, and a more willing subject!

The biggest problem is with the pose, in my opinion. You look like you're waiting to be shot with a .357 magnum instead of a camera. ;)

I hate having my photo taken, too, it seems to be a common factor with photographers. I have no idea how many shots I took to get my profile pic but it was an awful lot! Relax, shoulders back, hands (holding the remote button) loosely in your lap, chin up and forward a little. Smiling isn't compulsory though your facial expression seems to be reflecting the tenseness of the pose as a whole. The lighting looks good to me as is.

B+ "Shows promise."

You look like you're waiting to be shot with a .357 magnum instead of a camera. ;)

You nailed it LOL. I was trying to lean forward slightly but only realized the "hunched shoulders" after the fact, something I hope I would have seen if I'd been behind the camera. Maybe if try it more, I could relax a little.

You've inspired me. I've been thinking it was time to update my profile image: this one is several years old and I was very pleased with it. Not sure I could do it again.

You look like you're waiting to be shot with a .357 magnum instead of a camera. ;)

You nailed it LOL. I was trying to lean forward slightly but only realized the "hunched shoulders" after the fact, something I hope I would have seen if I'd been behind the camera. Maybe if try it more, I could relax a little.

At least you got your shirt on....:bouncingsmileys:

@Granddad I liken it to "Physician Heal Thyself". I need a LOT OF CORRECTION.

You've inspired me. I've been thinking it was time to update my profile image: this one is several years old and I was very pleased with it. Not sure I could do it again.

Yeah, your looking pretty dapper, see if you can out-dapper yourself.... oh, leave your shirt on too....:bouncingsmileys:

@jcdeboever funny you should mention that. It was warm, while I was setting up, and the shirt was to much! LOL

Stepping in front of the camera is something I had to work past, I don't mind it so much now. But that first time was less than exciting! LOL

For a first time? Pretty damn good! I would say you acheived your 2:1, and I think the lighting is pretty good. The key light could stand to have been reduced maybe 1/3 stop or so. You got the "lean forward" part right, but you forgot the "chin down" part. As well, you've made a common mistake with your arms; putting your hands on the outside pulls your shoulders down. Looking at my profile shot (for nothing else aside from the position of the arms, please!) note the way my hands are positioned and how it affects my shoulders.
Self_BW.jpg

Did you want me to move this into the "Are photographers too grumpy?" thread?

@tirediron Thank you for the kind words. I actually found myself thinking through the shot, and making informed adjustments thanks to this forum. I didn't quite know what to do with the hands. Unfortunate effect of aging is that the skin on back of my hands is so thin that anything that touches, bruises or skins. I'd been working on an auto repair, so the left hand was so horrible I didn't want to show it. The right hand wasn't much better, but I managed to clone out some of the bruises. I was also using a metal folding chair which wasn't the right height, and little narrow. Will follow your suggestions on lighting and posture on the next try.

Monochrome conversions hide a LOT of sins! ;) Especially epidermal ones. You can do the same thing with your arms from a standing position, essentially cupping each elbow with the opposite hand. If you're going to do that, make sure that you're NOT square to the camera, and your camera is at or very slightly above eye-level otherwise it's going to produce one intimidating shot (which, if that's your intent is absolutely fine).

HEY! Nice to put a face to the name. Selfies can be very difficult, very challenging. Much more difficult than photographing another person. I like the "realness" of the shot, it's very direct, very straight-ahead. As some others have alluded to, the shoulders are a bit hunched forward. I think Grandad's letter grade and comment, " B+, shows promise" is pretty much how I feel. I like mostly everything about it, except the slight foreward hunching of the shoulders. I don't mind the hand in the shot.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back