Not what I expected

I thought about that Dew but I don't think it would be worth it. There is just too much work involved to do it for free. To me it sounded like she wanted a free wedding photographer :roll:

if u look at it another way, perhaps u can use their photos for your portfolio as advertisment for other weddings that u can do ... wedding photography can be expensive. i know here in NYC, minimum $500 for a couple of hours

why am i trying to convince u to consider this? :scratch: ... oh yeh :lol: ... i think it would be great for your portfolio for other potential clients .... then u can jack up the price .. most likely, they would want to see another wedding that u've done :afro:

consider this, would u want someone to shoot your wedding if u havent seen their work? :no smile:

$300 is dirt cheap. Heck, at most weddings I've done film and processing come to more than $300.

Out here in the midwest U.S. I'd say the average price for wedding photography (5 or 6 hours or so) is around $1200, and there are plenty of photographers charging two or three times that much.

If the bride is trying to get wedding photography done for less than $300 she either hasn't priced wedding photography, or she really doesn't care much about capturing the memories of "her most special day".

Good call, Voodoo. It's hard work, and unless she's a really good friend or family member, there is no reason for you to get less than $300. Heck, I thought you were'nt charging enough. I've shot a few friends' weddings, and I considered it quite a discounted rate to charge around $500 for a full wedding and reception (they thought it was a great deal too). Keep putting out the ads, lot's of folks would jump on a $300 wedding photog.

Yeah, I still don't think I am going to do it. I've seen too many horrible wedding photos done by paid photographers. I'm not even looking to necessarily do weddings. If I get thrown one here or there I'll take it. I won't charge much for my first and most likely second wedding. Mostly for the experience. But I'm still getting paid... then I can charge full price. $300 is pennies for a wedding photographer. At least a quarter of the amount of most photographers cheapest package.

Oh for pete's sake! That is so aggravating. :? After having done several weddings and feeling like we had the process under control, a girl I worked with hired us after seeing our preview book. Then her mother stepped in because she found a guy to do it for about $75 less. We went to the wedding and had a nice time, just being guests for a change. Later when she showed me her proofs I just felt so badly for her. I never saw such plonk in my life. The flash was way too hot on every picture; there was an attempt at being clever when he sat on the floor and shot up with a circle of her and her bridesmaids all around him - except he apparently didn't notice the stained, sagging ceiling tiles smack in the middle. I mean, this stuff was CRAP. But I didn't do anything but smile and ask about the honeymoon, since any criticism would have only come across as sour grapes, and it was too late at that point, anyway. :roll:

We're out of the wedding business for a variety of reasons, but we knew even then not to bother with people who are too cheap to pay a fair price. They don't really care if they get good images or not. There are better clients out there who do.

my parents spent 5 grand on my sister's wedding photographer and while he did nice work there were just some things i noticed in a few of the shots that i thought were glaringly obvious mistakes he should have noticed himself when taking them. like this one where he took a picture from behind me and my sister and the other bridesmaids as we were facing this 3 piece folding mirror thing... it's a cool shot with our reflections and everything, but HE is also in the shot. that really bugs me. you see him back there crouched down on this table behind us. and he didn't notice he was in the shot when he took the picture? DUH!

there was another where he was taking her picture inside the chapel with these beautiful pillars along this walkway and he could have stood at a slightly different angle and gotten a perfect shot, but instead, he took it in such a way that this big, bright red "EXIT" sign is in the background. the majority of the picture has white objects in it, and then there's this big red sign. yuck.

Well, it's a brutal job, you're totally under the gun and moving fast - these kinds of mistakes WILL happen. That's why you have to be careful to charge something "reasonable" for your area, and not be ashamed to stand by it.

Once you start charging thousands of dollars, mistakes like this seem MUCH less forgivable!!! :p

I am surely no professional, but 300 dollars isn't worth my time and stress involved in shooting a wedding. I am not even including the cost of materials.
If i were hiring a photog for a wedding, i would expect to pay at least a grand, if they have previous work to show me. Alot more for B&W that is personally printed.
I am just shocked that she wouldn't take a 300 dollar offer, a couple of fling cameras and processing is worth 300 dollars.

Does this not piss anyone else off to think that a photographer is not worth that much for a thankless and scrutinized job?

I understand charging less to get some experience, but i still don't think i could get by without a 500 minimum. On what should be the most important day of your life i would rather skimp on the cake (which will be eaten) rather then screw the person in charge of capturing the moments forever.

Wow, I can't believe that. I wouldn't be surprised if she comes running back once she starts pricing out some other photographers.

Havoc said:
i would rather skimp on the cake
I hear a couple Sara Lee's stacked together makes a cheap wedding cake.

I have done two weddings. both times it turned out great. Two important things. Attend the rehearsal (hopefully it's at the same time of day as the wedding) Second, remember it's their wedding but don't hesitate to recomend changes to improve picture quality. You don't get a second chance so have back-up equipment. Good luck!!

TwistMyArm said:
Wow, I can't believe that. I wouldn't be surprised if she comes running back once she starts pricing out some other photographers.

And then, Voodoo, you should simply state "I have been offered another wedding paying me $600. Out of my generosity towards you though I'll skip that one and do yours for only $500!"

As a professional musician I am asked sometimes to donate my services, I do that only for a worthy cause such as a no-kill shelter for cats and dogs or the likes. People often don't understand what we do for a living! :x

Most reactions

New Topics

Back