Now I'm getting somewhere

wornways

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here's a shot of a dead subject (leaf hopper if I'm not mistaken) taken from a web outside my door made using a tripod and hand-held remote trigger. It's about 4.5mm long and 1mm at its widest (including left over webbing):

008 (cropped) by Wornways, on Flickr

Once I saw this, I decided it was time to go freehand. Because if I'm forced to use a tripod out in the bush when I'm walking around with my monster camera setup, I might as well forget it. So I had to see if I could get a photo of similar quality now that I knew what should be possible. Knowing what's possible can spur my determination like nothing else. This is what I managed:

Freehand #1 from about the same angle:

013 (cropped) by Wornways, on Flickr

I figured out that I could use continues mode to snap three to five shots in a row (six per second with this camera) and just slowly rock my way into focus as I did this. I ended up with some comparable shots from other angles:

025 (cropped) by Wornways, on Flickr

029 (cropped) by Wornways, on Flickr

Seeing that these looked clear, I decided it was time to try it on a live subject. I bolted outside freaking with excitement (because I now realized I might be able to pull this off!) and saw a mayfly, whose main body was maybe 7mm or 8mm long, and tried a similar but slightly improved method:

034 (cropped) by Wornways, on Flickr

A tiny little sucker on the brightest part of the bulb. This guy couldn't have been larger than 2mm long:

036 (cropped) by Wornways, on Flickr

I tried again with higher output to the flashes on the ring (four SB-R200s) but the flash became too powerful. In retrospect I realize I could have turned one of them off to get the right lighting. But I went back to the lower flash output and got the above. I then chased after an inch long moth that was frantically flying about the light fixture, but freaked out whenever the flash went off, so I didn't get an ideal shot, though my best shot with that fella was better than any moth photo I'd ever managed before.

So I returned to the mayfly to see if I could do it again:

040 (cropped) by Wornways, on Flickr

Glaring success. I think I've finally found my way with this lens.

Glad you are making progress! You can also improve your lighting with better diffusion also.

Glad you are making progress! You can also improve your lighting with better diffusion also.

I have diffusion filters for the four flashes, but I really hate them. They force me to jack up the flash power as high as I can get it, which has its own unpleasant issues. If Nikon made a less diffuse diffusion filter that diffused while allowing more light to come through, then I'd be all over it. For the time being, I just hing the lights away (outward) from the subject, which has a similar effect without forcing me to sacrifice the short flash time.

Most reactions

Back