Occupations in Photography

klon_n_fleck

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi, everybody! I am in a beginning high school photography class, and one of our assignments is to gather some information about different occupations in the photography field (portrait photographers, lab technicians, etc.). I was hoping that some of you might be able to give me some information on your jobs. The criteria are your name, where you work, your position, your duties, the experience you have, the salary range of your particular field, and the demand and interest for professionals in your occupation. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

klon_n_fleck said:
Hi, everybody! I am in a beginning high school photography class, and one of our assignments is to gather some information about different occupations in the photography field (portrait photographers, lab technicians, etc.). I was hoping that some of you might be able to give me some information on your jobs. The criteria are your name, where you work, your position, your duties, the experience you have, the salary range of your particular field, and the demand and interest for professionals in your occupation. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I'm not gonna bother with a Private Message, so I'll just post it here:

Name: Matt

Where I Work: San Francisco Bay Area

My Position: Product/Advertising + Professional Portrait Photographer

Duties: To locate clients, pitch to them using my portfolio, work in conjunction with the art director (if there is one), get the shot needed, photofinish it, and deliver on time.

Experiance I have: I've been working around the Napa Valley Vineyards for about a year now, and I've been shooting since I was 15. (I'm 17 now)

Salary Range: Thats tough, I don't have a set rate, my charges are relative to each job. I made around 8,500 dollars last year, which isn't a good salary figure, given I don't work full time - I'm still in High School (17 year old) so I can't devote myself to working.

Demand for those in my field: Lots of it. Every time you open a magazine, walk past a billboard, or ride a bus you'll see some form of product photography.

Hope that helps :p

You haven't messaged me and I am going to bed soon so here it goes:

Name: Joshua Fleetwood

Where I work: I work all around the country and sometimes (when lucky)the world.

My Position: I am the owner of TIF Imaging and also am the Primary Photographer (of three). I personally only deal with band and (primarily) live concert photography.

Duties: These days, I primarily just do photography. In the past, I fully managed and operated my business by myself, but now I have hired other people to fill those positions as I really don't have time to do the photography, finish college, AND manage a business. I now have to set up jobs, secure and verify credentials (laminates or cloth stickers that let me get in with my gear and no ticket), shoot photos, upload or mail to band and Travel with or without the band to the next gig.

Experience: Well, I have been doing photography for 6+ years and concert photography for 3 of that. I have shot bands in 41 U.S. States, Canada, Australia, The U.K, and other parts of europe.

Salary: Well, that is tough. Pictures are generally purchased by the band individually in addition to travel costs and per diem (when touring with a band). To give you an idea, in 2003, I made 25,000 (give or take) and in 2004, I made 32,000 (also give or take) That includes per diem and photo sales, but not travel costs. I could make far more if I didn't work mostly in the summer. (but as I am a student....) The range for my job is somewhere between 0$(some VERY talented photographers NEVER make a cent doing the same thing i do) And 120,000 (some photographers are so talented/well known that they get paid this well...e.g Danny Clinch)

Demand: The demand for my profession is pretty High.... but it is terribly hard to get paid for doing it as most bands don't have a large photography budget. You just have to get well connected... and even then... There is alot of interest in what i do because many music fans think it would be the greatest job on earth... I agree!

I hope that answers your questions.
-Josh

Thanks so much to shutterbug, bp, and fleetwood for your help. If anyone else wants to help me out, that would be absolutely outstanding. I only need two more people for my assignment.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back