Ocean/Beach Protection

vonDrehle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Near the end of the month I will be going to Miami, and then 2 days later after getting back I'll be going to the Bahamas. I was wondering if there was anything I should get to protect my camera from sand and all the other things an ocean/beach has to offer.

Thanks.

If its particulary windy be sure to clean your camera and lenses and dont expose the camera to the weather anymore then you have to.

Well it really depends on where you will be, how close to the water, the weather conditions...etc.

Salt water can be very bad so try not to get any spray or mist on your gear. Sand can get into bad places and be very hard to get out...so be careful of that too.

Pro level cameras and lenses are sealed very well against the elements but consumer level stuff is a lot more susceptible to stuff getting in. I suppose your could put your camera into a plastic bag or shower cap...something to keep it isolated from whatever might be blowing around. AS mentioned, a good cleaning afterward is a good idea, you don't want any salt to stay on the camera/lens for very long.

If you're worried about ocean spray, then a UV filter can provide a low cost way to protect your lens against direct salt-water contact. Otherwise, as Big Mike says, bag everything in plastic bags and clean it if exposed.

Rob

Most reactions

Back