OCF, Helo me improve

Why is your iso at 800? When I shoot strobist type stuff, I try to keep my iso as low as possible.

I use my aperture and/or flash power to control my flash only

• If I'm satisfied with my dof, then I adjust my flash accordingly
  • If I have dof to spare, I'll leave my flash at whatever power and raise my f/ (raise = lower...f/11 to f/8 or something like that)

Did you try my suggestion f/11 and 1/160th? (iso 100, 200 tops)

Edit: I figure you already know this, but the basics behind why/how a flash does what it does in a picture.

Shutter strictly controls ambient light (the light in your room, pre shutter/flash)
Aperture/flash power control how much your subject is lighted by your flash.

Want to show some background color...longer shutter and whatever flash power/aperture to get you lighted and dof satisfactory.
Want a black background...shorter shutter, higher flash power, f/14'ish

CHARLIE_zpsfe451381.jpg

Loni says"Good Job, Robin!" lol!

I'd be surprised if he was the only one with this thread and all my questions and SLOW progress (or so it seems to me.).

Ron.. based on the light in your photo... it looks like the camera is slightly to your right? and the umbrella is well to your left? Try facing the camera.... dead on. Put the umbrella right next to it.. almost touching the lens. Have the tip of the umbrella about 24" from you... Get that reflector no more than 6" away from your right shoulder...

try that.. adjust the light, shoot again... repeat, until you get the exposure you are looking for. You are getting too much light on one side (left) and not enough on the right.

LONI beat the hell out of me, didn't she? ;)

Robin.. she is laughing her A$$ off... really! lol!

Charlie, here is the changes that you suggested. I had to change to 50mm from 85mm because I moved the camera closer, but I see the difference.

1. 1/125, f4.5, 50mm, 100 ISO, Flash at 1/4th power. Camer moved to touching the umbrella and me still about 2-2.5 feet from umbrella.

IMG_8174 by Ron_Lane, on Flickr

Still a little hot in spots?

Definitely better... so play with it, and have fun! looks like you still need to get that reflector closer, or get a better reflector.

My reflector is huge.. and silver, so it really bounces light (really helps)... as you can see below:

$ref.jpg

Notice in Charlies picture you can clearly see TWO catchlights in his eyes? In yours only the strobe.

You reflector is not reflecting.

So what are you using and why is it not working?

Thanks Charlie, I will keep playing with it. I am having fun and having some break through tonight.

What lens and focal length are you using in that picture to get most of your upper body?

If you move the camera back a couple of feet, does that effect the lighting?

Notice in Charlies picture you can clearly see TWO catchlights in his eyes? In yours only the strobe.

You reflector is not reflecting.

So what are you using and why is it not working?

I'm using a foldable car windshield reflector that is more grey than silver and reflective.

I actually like 1 catch light better. It is really up to you what you are trying to do. An umbrella will spread the light everywhere. It is not really directional. Just put the umbrella close to your face should be good. What is not appealing on your shot is the background. My sample has really shallow DOF. Did that on purpose just so my skin looks as soft as a baby's butt.

564042_4259886620135_749792721_n.jpg

One more question. If I raise the umbrella up and put the camera under it so that the light covers both side of the face, do I have it softened enough to do that?

Most reactions

Back