In memoriam
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
kharrodphotography.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Or more.
I'll be traveling and off line for about 120 continuous hours - the rest of today, all day Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and part of Saturday.

I am looking forward to being out-of-touch, and without a care regarding what's going on in the world - other than that small part of it I can see with my 2 eyes.

Cheers! - until sometime Saturday afternoon/evening.

Have a great trip!

Ok, he's gone, now we can talk about him :}
Curious to see how he feels about the 120 hrs after he gets back!
We were supposed to wait till he left for that?

Ok, that's it. I need to fire my people and get new ones. I'm just missing way to many memos

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

Nice shots there in your other post.

Also glad you didn't have to spend the night in a motel with some stranger because Amtrak broke down.

I'm terrible.

I just got back from a long distance train trip on the California Zephyr to California and back this last Saturday morning.
But this afternoon I booked my next train trip.

I'll be getting on the Southwest Chief in Galesburg, IL on May 1, 2017.
Booking well in advance reduces the cost by about 1/2.

Here's the itinerary:
Galesburg, Illinois (GBB) to Los Angeles (LAX)
GBB - Kansas City - La Junta, CO - Raton Pass - Albuquerque - Flagstaff - Barstow - LA

On the way back from LA I'll take a different route.
LA - Tucson - El Paso - San Antonio - Dallas - St. Louis - Chicago.

I'll ride the Sunset Limited from LA to San Antonio, and the Texas Eagle from San Antonio to Chicago.
From LA to San Antonio the Sunset Limited and the Texas Eagle are joined together but pulled by 1 set of locomotives.
I could have booked the Texas Eagle all the way to Chicago.
By booking the Sunset Limited I save about $70 and get to have tickets showing I rode 2 trains.
Scheduling is kind of a hassle because the Sunset Limited only runs 3 days a week - Sunday, Wednesday, and Friday - LA to New Orleans.
The Texas Eagle is also the same 3 days a week out of LA, but daily from San Antonio to Chicago.

In San Antonio it takes them about 1.5 hours to split the train into 2, the Sunset Limited going on to New Orleans, the Texas Eagle going to Chicago.
I'll have to be up at 4:50 AM MDT to vacate the Sunset Limited sleeper and move to the Texas Eagle sleeper.
They start serving breakfast in the dining car @ 6:30 AM.
The TE is scheduled to leave San Antonio at 7 AM.

I've booked the Illinois Zephyr after having some Chicago deep dish pizza somewhere near Chicago Union Station.
That lets me have tickets from 4 trains I rode on the trip - Southwest Chief, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Illinois Zephyr.
I could skip the pizza and catch the Southwest Chief to GBB - and only ride 3 trains.
Nah!

I have been fortunate to take some train trips with our son when he was 8-10 yrs old. Went from Tampa, Fl to D.C., Chicago then Michigan to visit relatives. We had a great time, slept in our seats, rode the observation car, fun stuff and happy memories for both of us. (Hubby was not interested in going.)
My love for trains came from being @ 7 or so and riding with my siblings from Michigan to NY to visit with relatives.
I woke up in the middle of the night to a Christmas snow coming down as we stopped in a station. There a college age girl got off and her dad (?) was there to pick her up. It was late and she was the only 1 getting off. They hugged and it made an impression I still recall today....
Sorry for the long post....

Most reactions

Back