Ok hi :) but I'm not really sure I want to be here...??

agc970

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi, I am brand new to TPF and I have just been browsing through and noticing that this website isn't quite at all like I thought it was going to be...

I sort of thought that this was a place for a range of photographers to come and help each other and share advice/tips/knowledge...

However I am finding that a lot of people on here are really rather
pretentious and make all sorts of comments about people's photos that are really not helpful or useful in any sort of way.
Does anybody else feel this way or am I the only one?

Everyone has their own subjective views of what is good and what is not good. You need to take these sort of things in stride. If you ask for advice about a photo you took to seek approval or praise, then don't be upset if you don't get that. If someone bashes a photo that you think is great, then who cares? If you like it the way it is then that is all that matters right? If you ask for advice, you will get someones own take on your photo which will most likely not be your own, but that is the beauty of the individual and should be embraced. I am pretty new on this forum but I think it is a great community and you would be hard pressed to find a community anywhere, internet or not, that is 100% the way you expect things to be. Once again, I am not speaking for the forum or in the forums defense, but rather from my own subjective brain. Just like any community, you have overly generous people, and overly critical people.

Last edited:
You are not alone.

There are a lot of pretentious and arrogant people here. I think they forget that some of us are still growing our skills and knowledge. But, on the other hand, there are a lot of people who are very knowledgeable and quite helpful.

IMO its worth sifting through. :lol:

Last edited:
some people are just naturally arrogant. and sometimes they don't even notice it lol. but no matter what the picture is, there's going to be somebody who dislikes it. I for one only find a few ansel adams pics i like. but he is world renowned and loved by many. if YOU like a picture or the picture speaks to YOU, it doesnt matter what others think. as with any online forum, you have to sort through some BS to find the good stuff.

All forums suffer from the "good ole boys club syndrome".. I am new here too and I know that I have to continue to post and help others when I feel that I are qualified to do so....and after a while members will know who I am and I will be in the club too ;)

It is not about talent level... it is about positive contributions.

Cheers, joe

Last edited:
As the others above have mentioned, there are pretentious snobs, and there are humble noobs like us. But this isn't a "feel good" forum. People will be objective, and seemingly harsh, and sometimes constructive. Isn't that how we learn best, instead of having it sugar coated? I am a member of a few other forums, and each had a "clique" which turned me off. But I stuck it out, braced the snubs, accepted the critique and kept posting. Now I'm one of the regulars and I love it. And I've learned a lot and gotten better because of it.
So suck it up and stick it out. And I mean that in the best way :thumbsup:

thanks everybody :) i wasn't harshly criticized by anybody, but i noticed that lot of people were and it seemed that a lot of the things i read weren't helpful or constructive criticism... they were just kind of snobby.

anyway i'm glad to hear that there are good things to learn from this site :) thanks!

That is the weirdest Intro I have ever seen on a forum. I would say judging by the responses you got in this thread, this forum isn't very bad at all.

Enjoy your stay, and I look forward to seeing your work.

Make some posts, get some critique, read and comment on others. See for yourself if the response you get is what you are looking for in a forum.

I have not found 1 forum that is perfect. to each their own. Spend some time here before making up your mind.

Learn to read through the posts that you dont care for.

I know a few professional artists, and they often get asked for critiques, and they hate it.
you know why? because 99/100 people are only looking for praise, they don't actually want to hear what they do wrong and improve, but be told 'well done you've made it!' when in reality they need to be torn a new one, go away and actually do what they need to to improve.

Now I'm not suggesting that the people here know what they're talking about, nor am I defending the actions of some people. But if you go looking for praise and a pat on the back when asking for a 'critique' you'll always end up disappointed.
I post on many different forums with many different levels of in-jokes and sarcasm, the rule of thumb? It's the internet, it gives people the opportunity to be complete and utter asshats with no fear of backlash.

TL;DR; take eveyrhting you read with a tablespoon of salt and ignore the inflated egos

Most reactions

Back