Ok, ok I'm new. Recomendations

Blues Singer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Right I don't yet own my own digital camera. I have a camcorder which I ocasionally use (not very good), and I often lend my friends (quite good). But I'm looking at something really good but not too pricey.

Also what's the best way to use lighting? Should I rent out lights or buy my own?

I'm really looking to film everyday life in and around Manchester and Salford, which I don't think would need lighting. Although I am also looking to photograph people indoors that look like a still from an old film or old Coronation St. episode.

satnight-F419467-9_rgb.jpg

boutde3.jpg

An example is these shots from Saturday Night and Sunday Morning, and A Bout De Souffle. I obviously would need artificial lighting for a shot like this. How many lights would be needed and what watt?

Like I said I'm sort of new to the game and any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

First thing that would help the pro's on here answer your question is what's your price range? How much are you willing to spend for everything? And is digital what you really want?

If digital is what you are looking for then how nice of a digital do you want?

my price range isnt high really, about £1000 or less at the moment. I'm still paying off my laptop.

It is digital i'm after yes. I would want to buy lenses also. What price range do they vary?

You'll get a "start" with the 1000BP and eventually you'll spend as much on glass.

I'd get a 10D or D70 or something similar and lens... Depends on what you shoot. A kit lens probably, and then decide.

BTW: The pics look more like available light to me.

yeah, that's natural light actually. you could get both of those effects by simply letting light fall through a window onto the subject. I would suggest the d70 over the 10d. most definitely. the 10d is nice, but the d70 is nicer. if you can afford the d70, i'd go for it. actually buy the d70s, it's an improved d70, and about the same price.

yea you don't need expensive sophisticated lights like those. and for me even when im shooting something that needs more light i just use a lamp that i have in my room, nothing special.

i have absolutely no complaints about the d70! well, just one...

Check out www.dpreview.com They give lots of specs and examples from a wide variety of cameras. They even rate cameras that they review as well as give a price range for the camera you're looking for.

And welcome to the forum!!

Saturday Night And Sunday Morning was shot mainly in the studio so studio lights were used.
The French film was shot with mixed. You use available light but use tungsten to fill in.
Although lighting for film and lighting for stills share a lot of common ground there can be considerable differences in approach.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back